PDA

View Full Version : Finally!! A Square Hole (Tool Making)

Michael Mills
04-10-2011, 9:14 PM
Thanks to Wes Grass in the SMC Metalworking Forum, I found out the name of the type holder I needed. Simple enough (if you know)….a Square Hole Sleeve. :D
So finally I can "chuck up" bits for custom square tools. I know that I need to get a shorter setscrew the next time I go the hardware store. The bit holder is 2-3/4 inch long so about 2" tool is inserted.
This was made for small work even though the steel is ˝" square. Makes it easy to swap out custom bits and only have to store one handle.

David E Keller
04-10-2011, 9:18 PM
That's cool... Never heard of a square hole sleeve, but I want one! Where did you find it?

Michael Mills
04-10-2011, 9:40 PM
Hi David,
They are available from quite a few places but I bought mine here…Green Bay Manufacturing
http://www.greenbaymfgco.com/catalog.php?cat=5
About the same price as Amazon with shipping. I wish I had gone ahead and bought a 3/8" also.
They are very nice and it seems they may be struggling a little with the economy. The owner is 80+ according to lady I spoke with. They do not take charges so you have to get the price and send them a check but I was not in a hurry.
If you notice the 2200-16 and the 2200-56 are the same size but the 56 is threaded on one end for 5/8" rod. I didn’t think I needed it threaded for a lightweight tool; for a heavier tool it may be worthwhile to add more shank.

ray hampton
04-11-2011, 4:01 PM
it may be my fault but the link refuse to work

Leo Van Der Loo
04-11-2011, 4:21 PM
I have a couple of these, often used in tool-rooms, I use them for making boring bars to hold square tool-bits in a drilled hole, I like the split ones better for this.

Here's a place that sells them and some different types, HTH

http://www.sturdybroaching.com/products.nxg

John Keeton
04-11-2011, 4:22 PM
Ray, it works for me.

ray hampton
04-11-2011, 5:53 PM
Ray, it works for me.

it works for me now
thank you for the fix

ray hampton
04-11-2011, 5:58 PM