PDA

View Full Version : Segmented Vases

Michael Short
04-10-2011, 7:26 PM
Here are 3 recent segmented vases that I have completed.

All of them consist of red oak and walnut, finished with shellac.

I started out making the one on the right and decided to practice with that size vase and change style and form making the one on the left next and ending with the one in the middle today.

I really like doing the segmented work and have much to learn.

Left: 4.5” tall, 3” major diameter, 1 7/8” base, 61 pieces.

Middle: 5” tall, 3.5” major diameter, 2.25 base diameter, 145 pieces

Right: 4” tall, 3.25” major diameter, 1.75” base diameter, 67 pieces,

Thanks.

Dennis Ford
04-10-2011, 8:07 PM
They are all nice but the middle one is my favorite.

Fred Belknap
04-10-2011, 8:20 PM
They are all nice but the middle one is kinda my favorite. Is the walnut bottom a solid piece? Can't tell in the pic.

Jim Burr
04-10-2011, 8:21 PM
Great work Michael!!! All 3 are keepers. I love the colors, and the joints are perfect! Two thumbs up!!

Steve Schlumpf
04-10-2011, 8:38 PM
Michael - all three of there are very nice! Each has something different to offer but I find myself attracted to your first vase - just find that the form on it is more appealing to my tastes!

Nice work! Looking forward to seeing your next ones!

Baxter Smith
04-10-2011, 10:31 PM
Very nice vases Michael!

John Keeton
04-11-2011, 6:47 AM
Michael, very nice joinery! Good job all around, but like Steve, I prefer the first one (right) for form, but I like the accent ring on the last one.

Michelle Rich
04-11-2011, 7:18 AM
Hi Michael..I've seen your postings on the segmented site..glad you are sharing here too..Getting the featureband to line up on the center one, was hard to do..I think the shape is the best of the three also. I will enjoy watching your progress in segmenting

Thom Sturgill
04-11-2011, 7:27 AM
I would tend to disagree with Steve and John on this one. the one with the feature ring is the only one that does not have straight sides. Good job on all three. That a learning experience that I am looking forward to once I get my retirement shop up and running (next year?). I currently have so little shop space and what I do have is split between two places, that it is hard to get started on doing the cutting.

John Hart
04-11-2011, 7:43 AM
I like'm all too. If I had to pick a favorite, it would be #3. I'm just kinda partial to the simple curves and lines to it. But really, I like all three. Nice job. :)