PDA

View Full Version : Giant Lathe...The Beginning

John Hart
04-10-2011, 6:10 PM
Well, I've been sayin' it for nearly 3 years..."I'm going to build a giant Lathe". But life kept getting in the way.:(

So today, I finally got started. :)

A little background: There's a machine used in the chemical manufacturing industry, known as a Filter Press. It is about 12 Feet long...solid steel...weighs a little over a ton. I had the opportunity to get one and when I looked at it, I thought....Gee...that looks just like a lathe bed.
Soooo...I got some help with a guy and a towmotor and we loaded up a truck...made two trips and I put all this steel in the shop. It's been waiting for about 3 years.

Also...I just happen to have a 21 HP diesel engine in the shop that was used to drive woodworking equipment when this place was owned by an amish family. I use it now to run my compressor and a standby generator. All the drive shafts and drive pulleys are in place. So all I have to do is build the lathe.

Keep in mind that each piece is too heavy for me to lift, so every movement of this stuff is done with jacks, come-alongs, straps, crowbars, and rollers.
This first pic is after I got the headstock moved into position. Got a side rail there too...But I put it on the wrong side.:o

This next picture is with the side rails into position

Now I'm pulling the tailstock across the floor to get it near to position

Using a safety strap to a cross beam, I jacked up the tailstock until it was about two feet high, then I was able to gain enough leverage to pull it all the way vertical.

Here I'm strapping and bolting one of the side rails

John Hart
04-10-2011, 6:16 PM
Using some turning tool stock as roman rollers, I was able to push the tailstock sideways

Here it is moved into position

The headstock rail receivers are lower than the tailstock, so the headstock needs to be on risers. I'm using large oak beams (4X6) to bring it up 8 inches

Jacking up the headstock

Risers in place

Now I'm jacking up the rail to the tailstock

Ready to bolt in

Bolted In

John Hart
04-10-2011, 6:21 PM
Second Rail being put into position to Headstock

Ready to bolt in

Anyway...that's all there was to it. So now I have a finished frame. I just need to start getting all the hardware together...Shafts, bearings, pulleys....and start figuring out how to get a live center configured from the tailstock. I still have one large piece of steel that may serve as a floating tail that rides on the rails. Still thinking about that.

So here's the finished frame. I even cleaned up after myself :D

Brian Libby
04-10-2011, 6:32 PM
Looks great! Amazing what can be done with bars, rollers and block and tackle!
Looking forward to seeing the completed project.

Bernie Weishapl
04-10-2011, 6:33 PM
Well John it looks like you are on your way. That is going to be one big monster. Can't wait to see it finished.

David Reed
04-10-2011, 6:39 PM
too cool. I love heavy iron myself. If you give up turning, you can always take up winemaking - you have the filter already.
You may need a come-along just to move the tool rest and tailstock!

Tony De Masi
04-10-2011, 6:41 PM
Great start, finally, John. Really looking forward to any updates and the finished product. And Wow, you're gonna be able to turn some real nice pens with that sucker.:rolleyes:

Steve Schlumpf
04-10-2011, 6:41 PM
Man!!! My first thought was a flashback to the original Jaws movie.... 'we're gonna need a bigger boat!' Dang... that is going to be a monster! Do you have a market in your area for porch pillars? turned dock pilings? telephone poles? Gonna be interesting to see what comes off that lathe! Have you considered a riding tailstock?

Looking forward to seeing where this takes you! Hope it's not the hospital!

Gary Max
04-10-2011, 6:47 PM
Cool John--- you might as well go ahead and build yourself a Cherry picker------your going to need it to move blanks with.

David DeCristoforo
04-10-2011, 7:08 PM
Geez, the length some guys will go to avoid actually doing any work! Gotta clean my shop... Oh no wait... now I gotta build a giant lathe. Never know when you might run across one of those "turn a ship's mast from a tree trunk" jobs....

John Keeton
04-10-2011, 7:20 PM
John, one might be tempted to ask "why?" But, I think I will just sit back and enjoy the ride!!! Amazing!

Dick Wilson
04-10-2011, 7:25 PM
If I were you I would stop what your doing and spend more time thinking it through. Are you sure you have it in exactly the right place?;);) I can tell from the photos that I would hear you screaming here if you discovered that it needed to be moved.:mad::mad:

Do you expect to turn anything that will make it walk across the floor. ROFL.

John Hart
04-10-2011, 7:32 PM
Thanks all. :)

John asks why (but not really) Ya know...I just always wanted one. This thing will turn a 6 foot diameter piece. But I'll never do that. It'll also handle up to 10 feet in length....I'lll never do that either. BUT...what I will do is stick a 3 or 4 foot diameter gnarly root ball on it...rough it out with a chainsaw, and see what happens. Dunno...it's just an itch I have to scratch. I'll try to get everything for free.....I have plenty of room...I have the horsepower....So really..Why not? :)

No Dick...I won't move it. I'll die first. It took three years to get it there. It stays. :)

Lee Koepke
04-10-2011, 7:34 PM
Make friends with Jonathon Spool ..... he just picked up a root burl that will fit your monster machine !!!!! I'd like to see ya'll turn that thing in one sitting !!!

Tim Thiebaut
04-10-2011, 8:15 PM
Holy smokes! That things is a monster! I hope your wearing one of those back support belts so you dont hurt yourself. That is incredible, I am looking forward to seeing this progress. Since this will run off diesel will you just use this for larger items, and use your other lathe for normal things?

Roger Chandler
04-10-2011, 8:21 PM
John..........not to do too much psychoanalysis here, but I wonder what it could be here that your are trying to over compensate for? :eek:;);):D

No........seriously.........I really look forward to seeing this lathe completed and what you are able to do with it.............never say never! You might decide on a near 10 ft column or some special project that cannot be done on a smaller unit............

I refer you to Matt Huchinson's s cherry vase from a log!

Good luck with it John!!! We are pullin' for ya'!

Dan Forman
04-10-2011, 8:47 PM
Well, it's big all right! What do you plan to do with the beast?

Dan

David E Keller
04-10-2011, 9:06 PM
Move over Tim Taylor!(Insert manly grunts and such here)

I've never done something like this, so I'm not sure how it's all gonna go together... Needless to say, I'm excited to watch the process... Will it be finished by tomorrow?

My only rational thought... Should you use something other than wood for the headstock riser? I guess I'm concerned about the dimensional stability of the wood and what that might do to the aligment between headstock and tailstock. Concrete maybe?

Tim Rinehart
04-10-2011, 9:07 PM
Hey John...I say, why the heck not!! Go for it man...who knows where this journey will take you, but it ought to be a fun ride and great learning experience. At the very least, you'll learn stuff most of us never get the opportunity to.
Like others...can't wait to see what comes out of this beast, whether it be a giant root ball, huge platter...whatever...it's gonna be fun seeing what you do. I personally am looking forward to it!

Pete Jordan
04-10-2011, 9:17 PM
I am impressed John!!!

You said you are using a diesel engine. Will that be inside?

Steve Vaughan
04-10-2011, 9:32 PM
This right here is gonna be a great story! Love what you're doing, wish I had room for some fun like that. Let's see...1 ton of lathe powered by 21 horses of diesel power...gosh dog, that is one serious lathe right there!

Baxter Smith
04-10-2011, 10:47 PM
No more lacquer for me. Next thing you know I might be tempted to jack up the rear end of my old tractor and lag bolt a stump to one of the rear wheels.:eek:

You do need something to practice your finials on!:D

John Hart
04-11-2011, 5:44 AM
Make friends with Jonathon Spool .....

I thought that too, Lee!! I just have to figure out how to stop Jonathan from cuttin' that monster into little pieces. :D

Since this will run off diesel will you just use this for larger items, and use your other lathe for normal things?

I think so, Tim. I can run the diesel on 10 gallons of gas for about 24 hours (depending on the load) I figure the large pieces I'll attempt will be done a little at a time...and I'll just keep using my other lathe for everything else.

never say never! You might decide on a near 10 ft column or some special project that cannot be done on a smaller unit............

My wife mentioned columns (8 footers). And I agree...Heck, some of these amish builders around here might even want something like that. Might even pay for my addiction. :D

Well, it's big all right! What do you plan to do with the beast?

Dan, I think this will take me all summer to complete. And during that time, I'll be on the lookout for all the stumps and big pieces that I see constantly around here at the little family sawmills. I think the first piece will be a large vase...maybe 24 inches in diameter and 3 or 4 feet long. I want to stick with the style I do on the smaller lathe....Just bigger!! :)

My only rational thought... Should you use something other than wood for the headstock riser? I guess I'm concerned about the dimensional stability of the wood and what that might do to the aligment between headstock and tailstock. Concrete maybe?

Yeah...me too. In my heart, I think that the Oak risers are probably good enough. I tried moving this thing with all my might, and it doesn't budge. But you're right, something says, "wood just ain't gonna have the longevity". I'm uncomfortable with concrete, because if it starts to crack, the vibration might pulverize it. So I'm leaning toward replacing the oak with a stack of steel plates bolted together. That oughta do it. :)

At the very least, you'll learn stuff most of us never get the opportunity to.

Major point, Tim. And....every creeker visit results in a test ride :D

You said you are using a diesel engine. Will that be inside?

Yep...The diesel has its own room. Throttle, starting, and clutch control are on the wall outside the room. Exhaust system goes outside, plus I have an exhaust fan in the room itself. I don't have a fume problem. With the door closed....it's a low roar.

Let's see...1 ton of lathe powered by 21 horses of diesel power...gosh dog, that is one serious lathe right there!

I'm thinking it's overkill. I kinda like overkill. :)

No more lacquer for me. Next thing you know I might be tempted to jack up the rear end of my old tractor and lag bolt a stump to one of the rear wheels.

Sheesh..Baxter, with all the burls you found, I'm surprised you haven't already!!! You need more lacquer to shove you over the edge!!:D

alex carey
04-11-2011, 5:51 AM
loving it John, keep them pictures coming!!!

bob svoboda
04-11-2011, 8:59 AM
Certifiable, but cool. Looking forward to the rest of the story.

Scott Hackler
04-11-2011, 9:10 AM
Good Luck with this project. It is always interesting to see someone building thier own lathe. This thread brings back memories of Norm's concrete lathe!

David DeCristoforo
04-11-2011, 12:19 PM
Keep your eye on this one Greg Ketell! I had a friend years ago who built his own lathe. It too was a monster but the most bizarre thing was the speed changing system he came up with. I can't describe exactly how it worked but it incorporated a four speed auto transmission complete with shift lever that sat right above the headstock housing. Very "eye catching" to say the least!

Rob Cunningham
04-11-2011, 12:57 PM
Cool project John. Keep us posted on the progress.

Jim Adkins
04-11-2011, 1:46 PM
Well I can see all kinds of monies being needed for "big" turning tools......like a 4" roughing gouge, 1 1/2" fingernail gouge, 1/2" parting tool, ect., ect......the list goes on. OH, and some 4' long pieces of baseball bat blanks for turning Harpoon-styled handles for above mentioned tools. Ya gotta admire a guy that "scratches that itch" Good luck John with your project.

John Hart
04-12-2011, 5:53 AM
thanks for all your support!! This'll be quite a ride.:)

Keep your eye on this one Greg Ketell! I had a friend years ago who built his own lathe. It too was a monster but the most bizarre thing was the speed changing system he came up with. I can't describe exactly how it worked but it incorporated a four speed auto transmission complete with shift lever that sat right above the headstock housing. Very "eye catching" to say the least!

I gotta get that worked out too. I was thinking that the projects that this thing will be doing, I can make the speed changing a fairly slow and manual process. It's like with the tool rest....It needs to be extremely strong, so I'll forego the typical quick-release-slide idea for something that takes more time.

Well I can see all kinds of monies being needed for "big" turning tools......like a 4" roughing gouge, 1 1/2" fingernail gouge, 1/2" parting tool, ect., ect......the list goes on....

I've been collecting lot's of stuff that can become turning tools (I'm trying to be miserly about this)....you know, like lawnmower blades, leafsprings, motor shafts. I have an anvil and a woodburner in there.....If I can get the coals hot enough, I might try to learn a little blacksmithing along the way. :D

Gary Max
04-12-2011, 6:22 AM
Have you ever thought about using a hydraulic pump for your power-------might be a lot less work than running shafts and flat belts. There's a Amish guy down the road who runs his whole shop that way.

John Hart
04-12-2011, 6:38 AM
Have you ever thought about using a hydraulic pump for your power-------might be a lot less work than running shafts and flat belts. There's a Amish guy down the road who runs his whole shop that way.

I thought about it....but not very long. A hydraulic system would be cool, 'cept it would be added expense....and I'm poor.:o

I should be able to put the shafts and pulleys together for pennies...and there are pillow blocks I can get around here for barter. I think the main expense of this project will be welding services for things like the toolrest mechanism, steady rest, and tailstock mechanism.

Jeff Nicol
04-12-2011, 7:37 AM
John, I see there is a really nice hydraulic cylinder on the headstock end that looks to be just ballast. I am looking for a cylinder to make a firewood processor, any thoughts of helping out a fellow creeker who is also a lacquer lover? You also have beat me to the punch on the giant lathe build, I have one in mind that will run off the pto of my tractor and will use the transmission out of an old potatoe chip delivery truck to change speeds! Dreams, dreams, dreams, what would this world be with out dreams!! Great start on a monster of a lathe, and having the drive system in place with the deisel motor is pretty sweet.

Great thread,

Jeff

Pete Wade
04-12-2011, 9:23 AM
Good luck John! Just finished my homebuilt lathe a few weeks ago. You can do it!

James Combs
04-12-2011, 9:28 AM
....Gee...that looks just like a lathe bed...

John I too love to convert things from one use to another although usually on a much smaller scale. I have looked at all your photos and read all the previous comments but there are some details that I am fuzzy on. For instance you mentioned "Gee...that looks just like a lathe bed". I can see that if what you have set up was turned upside down. Are there more rails to the original machine that would be the equivalent of the typical lathe bed that aren't in place yet or am I just not seeing what you see? Just curious.

Edit: Ah ha. I just had a flash of intellect. I now recall the estimated 6' diameter of its capacity. That would of necessity require the bed to be on the floor or close to it. duh! Now I see it.

John Hart
04-12-2011, 9:55 AM
Yup..that's right James...It's upside down!! You win!!:D That's also why I have to elevate the headstock...to compensate for it being upside down. Rightside up would only give me a 24" swing roughly.....and what fun is that??:confused:

Jeff....yeah..the hydraulic piston is just ballast. I expect it weighs in around 200 pounds. It is fully functional, so it's a waste to just use it for ballast. You should put it to good use. I'll just put in in my bicycle basket and wheel it on over to Wisconsin. :)