PDA

View Full Version : 2nd HF

Tim Thiebaut
04-10-2011, 2:15 PM
Of all of the things I have posted recently this is my favorite so I saved it for last. The body and finial is turned from some nice pieces of cherry that John Keeton sent me, thanks John! This is the last piece of I have been holding while waiting for my photo tent to get here, so now it is on to other things...

Cherry HF, PurpleHeart collar and lid, Cherry double finials, "6x"4 3/4, 10 coats of WOP, as with the other pieces I have posted this morning it has not been buffed yet, and wont until I get some practise on other items not as important to me, I havnt even taken my Beall buff out of the box yet. The finish on this feels like a piece of glass it is so smooth.

I am not sure why I am getting that bit of glare/reflection on the front of my pictures but I will make another post and bring that issue up.

Michael James
04-10-2011, 3:00 PM
Very nice Tim!. I would comment that the mane danger in buffing is letting go of the piece. If your finish is dry/cured give it a go - but hang on to it and use sane speeds!
mj

Bernie Weishapl
04-10-2011, 3:27 PM
Tim that is a nice looking piece. I do like the form and the finial is great.

Dan Forman
04-10-2011, 4:47 PM
Very nice! Top and finial are well scaled. It's really hard to get rid on highlights on glossy hollow forms.

Dan

Faust M. Ruggiero
04-10-2011, 5:17 PM
Tim,
You are making really fast progress with your turning. I sense you are spending a lot of enjoyable hours in the shop. Your photos look good to me. I'm sure experimentation will make them even better, just like your turning. If you don't mind sharing, can you tell us where you bought a photo box. Did it come with lights or did you just use small florescent lights or the clamp on work lights.
Enjoy.
faust

Tim Thiebaut
04-10-2011, 6:17 PM
Thanks everyone, I appreciate all of the comments! I do enjoy all of the time I get to spend in my shop, but I dont get to spend as much time in there as I would like to thats for sure.

Faust - I bought my photo tent off Amazon, it says it is normaly around $150, but as long as I had been looking it was always around $45 and still is, it comes with the lights, tripod, and the tent folds directly out of the carrying case, the only thing extra that I had to buy was the gradient background, here is the info on both....

photo tent - http://www.amazon.com/SunPak-620-EBOX-Sunpak-Camera-Light/dp/B000JC3NOY/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1302473489&sr=8-10

Gradient background, I use #39 - http://www.phototechinc.com/graduate.htm

John Keeton
04-10-2011, 7:10 PM
Tim, wonderful progression here! Glad the cherry worked out for you, and the finials match very well. All of that cherry came from the same beam - a handhewn beam from an old KY cabin! So, you have a piece of history there, as well as a very nice piece of art.

John Hart
04-10-2011, 7:16 PM
Geez..you are a machine Tim. I know I know...you're just getting caught up on pics....but still...Great work!! :)

Steve Schlumpf
04-10-2011, 8:55 PM
Very nice work Tim! Super nice work on the double finials! About the only thing I would do different would be to bring the lid/collar portion more into the curve of the hollow form such that there is not an abrupt transistion and more of a flowing curve from form to finial. Just my opinion.

The reflection on the front of the form - other than the 2 bright light sources is caused by having the front of your photo-tent open. Light is reflected all around the form with the exception of the very front... which means you had the flap open I am guessing. I do it all the time as it is easier to move the form for sequential photos.

Roger Chandler
04-10-2011, 9:22 PM
I think it is time for a little celebration Tim! You are really doing some nice work! Congratulations on a well done piece! Super finial, and I like that purpleheart!

Baxter Smith
04-10-2011, 10:23 PM
Very nice job! I am looking forward to the next round!

Mark Hubl
04-11-2011, 2:37 PM
Tim, Your work is coming along quickly. Nice piece, I like the double. Keep them coming.

Photographing shiny work can be difficult. Sometimes the reflection is wanted and shows just how shiny the piece is, sometimes it is just a double headlight pain. Tray limiting anything else that is throwing light on the piece, including yourself. Soften the lights as much as you can and use long exposures. Also, you may try lighting from one side. This will create one hotspot ad some shadow. Play with these a bit. You can get the hotspot smaller and use the shadow to add dimension and depth to the piece. Google John Lucas, he has several how to's about photographing your work, one deals with shiny pieces. Good luck.