PDA

View Full Version : Shelix on DW735

JohnT Fitzgerald
04-10-2011, 1:20 PM
I installed the Shelix which I bought from Mike Goetzke last weekend, but I only tried it out this weekend.

Installation - very easy. I took Mike's cue and removed all the cutters before installing. I think the only hiccup was that I had to run to Sears and get some snap-ring pliers.

Noise - vastly improved. It is a much lower tone and is much less ear-piercing. The biggest difference to me is that the sound is not much worse when you run a board through it. The normal knives definitely got a lot louder when cutting.

The cut - I like very much how easily it cuts but I was not overly impressed with the finish. I can say I am not surprised seeing as you are counting on a number of individual cutters to be perfectly aligned. I ran some chalk over it and saw just how 'off' it was, but it *felt* smooth. I single pass with my ROS and then another pass with the chalk and it was smooth smooth smooth. Assuming the Shelix holds it's edge and cuts more consistently longer, I think I will definitely like it. I found that the knives cut very well when new but when they went dull, I got burning and increased snipe.

Snipe - very little on the trailing edge and none on the leading edge. I believe that cutter sharpness very much influences snipe on the trailing end on this planer. When you think about the geometry of the rollers on this planer, even a little resistance of the piece (due to the bed, or to the push back from the knives) will cause the roller to 'catch' the trailing corner and lift it up into the blade. To counteract this I usually run a scrap board right behind it that pushes the main piece through, preventing the roller from lifting it.

Overall I give it a thumbs up. Thanks Mike G!

Kirk Duff
04-14-2011, 1:23 PM
I two installed a byrd head in a dw735. the cut was like yours not real good light sanding fixed it. I had talked to people that said over tourqueing the knives causes deflection an poor cut quality. I removed my knives cleaned all surfaces and re installed useing a snapon tourque wrench. the cut quality is almost perfect now. you may want to try this it is worth ther time.

I have cut about 1500 square feet of surface in maple now and still on the first side of the knives. its just about time to rotate the knives. but i want to see how far the will go.

kirk

Victor Robinson
04-14-2011, 2:05 PM
One day I will be making this upgrade for my DW735 (a stationary is out of the question for my space-challenged shop), so thank you for the review.

Andrew Pitonyak
04-14-2011, 2:33 PM
I had talked to people that said over tourqueing the knives causes deflection an poor cut quality. I removed my knives cleaned all surfaces and re installed useing a snapon tourque wrench. the cut quality is almost perfect now. you may want to try this it is worth ther time.
How tight did you make it?

Dave Stuve
04-14-2011, 3:37 PM
I just installed a Byrd head on my 735 a week ago. They ship now with a 8x12 or so sheet of transparency film that you wrap around the cutter head to help you slide it through the tight opening. (So I didn't remove any cutters)

The cut quality is great, and it doesn't shriek when cutting either, which is probably appreciated by the neighbors. About the only thing I don't like is that now there's a fair amount of vibration. Put a small board on top now, and it will walk its way off in 10-15 seconds. But while it doesn't pass the nickel test, I do love the quiet and quality of the cut.

Dave

Kirk Duff
04-14-2011, 4:03 PM
55 inch pounds is what is suggested by Byrd. I think the important part is to use a good quality calibrated tourque wrench not the $1.99 one in the barin bin

Victor Robinson
04-14-2011, 4:29 PM
Odd request, but do any of you guys have a SPL app on your iPhone (or a real SPL meter?)? If yes, would you mind taking a reading off your 735 with Byrd?

Brian Gumpper
04-16-2011, 7:13 PM
The small diameter of that head makes accurate torquing very important. I'm assuming you used the provided tool and just hand tightened them. Get yourself an inch pounds torque wrench and reinstall the cutters.

Myk Rian
04-17-2011, 8:04 AM
Odd request, but do any of you guys have a SPL app on your iPhone (or a real SPL meter?)? If yes, would you mind taking a reading off your 735 with Byrd?

SPL? Do you think everyone knows what that means?

John Bunday
04-17-2011, 8:27 AM
I too swapped out my 4 knife cutter head on my Power Matic 180 for a Byrd Head. Totally satisfied with the surface finish and especially the noise reduction. Important to note the cutter head seats must be surgically clean and each knife set at the same tourk.

John Bunday

glenn bradley
04-17-2011, 11:15 AM
The cut - I like very much how easily it cuts but I was not overly impressed with the finish. I can say I am not surprised seeing as you are counting on a number of individual cutters to be perfectly aligned.

I'm glad Kirk and John mentioned proper insert "bed" preparation (meaning clean, really clean) and insert torque (to spec and consistent, really consistent) as the cure for sub-optimal surface result with spiral insert heads. Other folks have cured such ills with attention to this somewhat tedious (but rewarding) task.

Andrew Pitonyak
04-17-2011, 6:18 PM
SPL? Do you think everyone knows what that means?

Sound Pressure Level. He is really asking if anyone has the ability to measure the sound... You can purchase a meter to do this, but, I am guessing that perhaps the iPhone has an app for that!