PDA

View Full Version : Tortilla press handle

Hayes Rutherford
04-10-2011, 12:33 PM
Occasionally when I have the right pieces of wood I make simple tortilla presses. The handle is first sawn to profile from stock planed to just under 1-1/2", then turned between centers to slightly radius the underside and completely form the round portion or handle part. The only tool needed is a fairly stout skew. These are easy to make easy to sell and can be profitable if you have a cheap source for flat 1-1/2" thick cut-offs.

If anyone is interested in making these and needs further dimensions, pictures, or how to make tortillas, just let me know.

Here are some dimensions (nothing is critical): handle 13-3/4" long, 2-3/4" at deepest point that ends up about 1/3 in from end of top plate

top is 9-1/2" long, bottom 10-1/2" long (both 8-3/4" wide)

riser is 3" wide x 5-3/8" long.

notch for handle: 1-1/2"(handle thickness + clearance) x 2-1/4" tall
The riser is notched 3/4" x 1-1/2"(or thickness) of bottom board and screwed on with 4 sheerock screws in the center of the bottom board.

In putting it together I place a sheet of sandpaper on the base for some clearance then place the top over it and screw a couple of hinges on the end. I use salvaged door butt hinges but anything fairly stout will work. Screw the riser on the other end and place the handle in the slot . Clamp it in a good location that looks like it will work and drill a through hole for a suitable bolt. In this example I used a 1/2" bolt.

Flat boards work best but if there is a slight cup, match them up so they fit close.

In actual pressing of the tortillas, I cut a gallon ziplok bag into two squares and the dough gets placed on one then covered with the other and pressed. When the press is opened, the top piece is peeled off, and the bottom one gets peeled off after you place the tortilla in your hand. Then I just slap it down in a hot pan, flipping it after about 45 seconds.

Get a bag of Masa flour and have some fun. Instructions will be on the bag. From memory it is 1 cup Masa, 2/3 cup water, a little salt. Knead it for 4 or 5 minutes and divide into 8 "golf balls".

Steve Schlumpf
04-10-2011, 12:38 PM
OK - you have piqued my curiosity... so, dimensions, pictures and the basic how-to info would be great!

Tim Thiebaut
04-10-2011, 12:40 PM
Hi Hayes, I would be very interested in more pictures, dimensions etc....could we see a picture of this from the front view looking head on please? I think this is a great idea.

Curt Fuller
04-10-2011, 12:41 PM
OK - you have piqued my curiosity... so, dimensions, pictures and the basic how-to info would be great!

Mine too. And a recipe for the tortillas would be great too.

Michael James
04-10-2011, 2:09 PM
Mine too. And a recipe for the tortillas would be great too.

Out here, we generally go to the supermarket of choice and get sm, med or big burrito size! They're so cheap it's not worth the time. BUT..I do like the contraption!!! ;)

Ken Fitzgerald
04-10-2011, 2:32 PM
Michael,

Believe it or not, we can buy them in grocery stores here in Idaho too but I can show photographic proof that homemade is as good as it gets.......

Dan Forman
04-10-2011, 4:53 PM
Ingenious, I've never seen such a thing, though love Mexican food.

Dan

David Reed
04-10-2011, 6:48 PM
Great project - love the tortilla press and the fresh made tortillas. Walking the streets in Mexico you can smell the tortillaria several blocks away and when purchased warm, only about half make it back home. Only difference is your recipe is very Americanized (aka relatively healthy) as Mexican tortillas have plenty of lard. But oh are they good.

John Hart
04-10-2011, 7:21 PM
Oh that is soo cool!! It would be fun to have it even if you weren't going to make any!!

Michelle Rich
04-11-2011, 7:25 AM
I love seeing USEFUL items ..very very cool! thanks for sharing!