PDA

View Full Version : Putting a dye sub tile mural together

Scott Shepherd
04-10-2011, 10:20 AM
I just finished my first dye sub mural on tiles and now I'm trying to figure out how to finish it and I'm looking for tips/suggestions.

For the grout, how do you decide between a light and dark grout? What do you do with it? Mount them all to a piece of 1/4" plywood, then frame it somehow? I don't know that I've ever seen one finished in all my travels.

It turned out fantastic and now I can't wait to do more of them (as soon as I figure out Step 2- Mount and finish it!).

Any suggestions from those doing this?

Dan Hintz
04-10-2011, 3:19 PM
Depends upon the subject matter, but I would first consider a grout that matches the overall color scheme to allow it to blend in.

Gary Hair
04-11-2011, 1:00 AM
It's too late for this job but I prefer spacerless tiles so you don't need grout. Glue them to the backboard with construction adhesive and you are all set. If you do have to use grout make sure it's an non-sanded grout, preferrably an epoxy based grout. I agree with Dan, the color depends on the image, it should blend in or disappear.

Gary

Scott Shepherd
04-11-2011, 8:10 AM
Gary, where are you getting the tiles without spacers? I looked for them prior to starting this project and didn't see them. Apparently I missed them somewhere!

Albert Nix
04-11-2011, 8:30 AM
Some time in the near future I am going to try one of the hanging murals. They look neat. Pretty sure conde has tiles that do not require spacers.

Scott Shepherd
04-11-2011, 9:03 AM
I got mine from Conde and didn't see them. I just looked and I see the issue. I was shopping in the "Premier" tiles section and they don't have any in that series. If you go to the Bison level, they have them, then if you drop down to the low end on quality, they have them there, just nothing in the middle. But the Bison are about the same price as the Premier, so I'll try them next time.

Thanks!

Scott Challoner
04-11-2011, 10:32 AM
Is it possible to grind the spacers off?

Scott Shepherd
04-11-2011, 10:36 AM
Is it possible to grind the spacers off?

It is, but I allowed for the spacers when I did the image, so removing them would change the look. I planned on it all along, so it wasn't a surprise and it's the look I planned on from the beginning. However, next time around, I think I'll try some without the spacers.

Albert Nix
04-12-2011, 8:25 AM
Would love to see it when you finish Scott.