PDA

View Full Version : 3d engraving TIP + some newbie questions

Jan Devera
04-10-2011, 9:27 AM
hi all,
im planing to buy Epilog Laser ZING 16 (40W)
mainly for rubber stamps and Hot foil stamping....

And have couple questions:
Is 40W enough for rubber stamps and silicone stamps?

I know that laserbits have some Hot Stamp Die Material, its possible to use some regular heat resist silicone desk without aluminum plate? Or any cheap material for hot stamps ?

Anybody tried engraving Flock or Flex foil (its for heat transfer for textile)?

Checked couple of pages about 3D engraving (like on http://www.kernlasers.com/3d_laser_engraving.htm), and found probably quite easy way to create own 3D images for engraving. Its quite easy, did one test image, could do some tutorial later....
And it was made with free opensource software. Attached simple image

Sorry for my English :)
http://devros.sweb.cz/05.jpg

Bruce Boone
04-10-2011, 9:56 AM
I, for one would love to see a tutorial!

Greg Bednar
04-10-2011, 10:00 AM
Make that another who would like to see a tutorial.

Robert Walters
04-10-2011, 10:14 AM
...found probably quite easy way to create own 3D images for engraving. Its quite easy, did one test image, could do some tutorial later....
And it was made with free opensource software.

Hi Jan,

Did you use Blender?

The tutorial (or at least the steps involved) would be great!

Jan Devera
04-10-2011, 10:16 AM
Yep blender, as blender user it was quite easy, just modified z-depth render with some nodes...
Ok give me some time for tutorial....

David Fairfield
04-10-2011, 10:28 AM
+1 for the tutorial please.

Yes, 40 watts is fine for stamps. I do them on an older 35 watt machine, no problem. You'll be able to do them a little faster than me. Make sure you get a good exhaust fan and arrange it so the fan unit is outside or as near the outside wall as possible. That will help minimize fumes leaking into your work area. Burned rubber smells like skunk, just awful

Dave

Rodne Gold
04-10-2011, 11:30 AM
The silicone Die material takes a LOT of power , you got to engrave it quite deep. It's extremely slow on my 30w lasers. You can buy the sheet without the ally backing , not sure where in the USA. It makes great foiling dies for non flat material or material with textures etc , but it isnt a long lasting type die , magnesium or brass lasts a LOT longer.

Dan Hintz
04-10-2011, 3:14 PM
Blender is great for 3D scenes that can be created with the tools provided (text, fabrics lays, etc.), as shown in the example pic. Changing over a photograph, the holy grail of 3D processing for CNC/laser, is not nearly so easy.

Jan Devera
04-11-2011, 1:26 PM
Ok as promised here is basic tutorial:

1/ So you ned blender
on http://www.blender.org/download/get-256-beta/
you can download actual version, its called beta but its quite stable.... Whole program is one file nothing to install just drag and drop (at least on macs)

2/I prepared simple blend file
with Z-depth setup (so it render Z depth, instead of 3d image with textures and shadows), you can check this setting in blender nodes (with nodes you can manipulate with rendered image, adjust contrast, Depth, .... in image)
here is link with blend file and screenshot
http://devros.sweb.cz/engraving_basic.blend.zip
http://devros.sweb.cz/view.jpg

3/ so thats almost all,
extract my engraving_basic.blend.zip file
now open blender app,
File>Open
now you can render, or work with my template scene,
F12 is render and render view is on the left, here you can save, image as PNG, TIFF or what you want....

on youtube you can find many tutorials how to use blender, its maybe little different than other programs you already know, but its extremely powerful

Greg Bednar
04-11-2011, 9:53 PM
OK - Am I having a small stroke or succumbing to the "old dog new trick" phenomenon?

Dan Hintz
04-12-2011, 6:56 AM
OK - Am I having a small stroke or succumbing to the "old dog new trick" phenomenon?
Jan's tutorial reminds me of this comic:

David Fairfield
04-12-2011, 1:39 PM
One thing I've noticed, and this isn't meant as a criticism, younger people who have had fast computers in classrooms since Kindergarten grow up understanding computers and software as second nature. I'm truly impressed by their know-how and their ability to grasp new software without really struggling.

I was one of the last generation of HS students to take a drafting course with pens, ink, T squares and paper. It seems so antiquated now, but I suppose it was also good training.

All that being said, my 81 year old Dad is the computer guy in my family. I go to him in emergencies like viruses and stuff, and usually he can sort things out. Since retirement he's had time to fiddle with computers and software and he reads PC magazine. I think its all in the attitude, he just doesn't let himself get frustrated. So its never too late to learn!

Dave

Dan Hintz
04-12-2011, 6:37 PM
I was one of the last generation of HS students to take a drafting course with pens, ink, T squares and paper. It seems so antiquated now, but I suppose it was also good training.
Same here... some days I regret throwing my drafting table away... parallel rule, self-healing cutting mat cover, adjustable cushioned stool, and on and on. Kept all of my other equipment though... full technical pen set, multiple rulers and inking triangles, pantograph, Dietzen caliper set, etc.

Greg Bednar
04-12-2011, 7:09 PM
Honorable mention must be given to the venerable Pickett slide rule. It my old school, if it wasn't a Pickett, it wasn't a slide rule. - Today I couldn't read it without reading glasses.

Dee Gallo
04-12-2011, 7:09 PM
Whoa guys, don't make assumptions. The computer is just the tool of the day and just as there were some good draftsmen and some who could never get it, the same applies to kids these days with computer skills. I taught computer graphics to plenty of people who grew up in the computer age who have no idea how to do anything other than what they were taught. In other words, they didn't have a REAL understanding of how to do graphics with a computer. More importantly, without basic layout, design, lettering, perspective and color concepts, they still could not make the most of the tool.

Meanwhile, having used several different 3-D programs, they all make use of the same basic tools, but some of them make it very hard to operate due to quirky procedures whereas some make it simple and logical. Just like any other program. Compare your own ability to use CorelDraw for example, while some people swear they cannot figure out all the intricacies. I'm going to give Blender a try and see what it's all about. 9 out of 10 programs don't live long on my hard drive.

Thanks to Jan for sharing the info, you never know what will be helpful!

cheers, dee

Dan Hintz
04-12-2011, 7:13 PM
Dee,

I think you'll find Blender to be a very nice tool... I have a boatload of free tools either stored on the HD or bookmarked for further perusal as time allows (why I use Inkscape and Paint.NET, among others). When you find the good stuff, you stick with it.

Chuck Stone
04-12-2011, 8:52 PM
It my old school, if it wasn't a Pickett, it wasn't a slide rule. - Today I couldn't read it without reading glasses.

Don't feel bad.. I can't read it WITH reading glasses..

Dan Hintz
04-13-2011, 6:27 AM
Don't feel bad.. I can't read it WITH reading glasses..
I used to be able to read the printing on top of integrated circuits in low light, or be able to count out the correct pin to probe on a fine-pitch device... now I need to turn on the overhead bench light, tilt the board back and forth until the printing catches the light juuuust right, and if there's no magnifying glass around I have little hope of hitting the correct pin.

Old age... it's not just for your parents anymore :(

Chuck Stone
04-13-2011, 6:07 PM
the last few years I find myself holding things away from me a little .. arm's length.
Then one day I caught myself doing it and I thought "holy crap .. OLD people do that!
Oh $#%^!!! I'M OLD!!!!"