PDA

View Full Version : 1st HF

Tim Thiebaut
04-10-2011, 8:00 AM
White Birch with Walnut foot, collar and claro walnut finial, This piece originaly had no foot attached but after a nasty catch that sent it flying into my face shield to then bounce around on the concrete floor I had no choice it ripped the bottom sides out from the recess for the chuck. At first I thought it was completely ruined but I remounted it in reverse and squared up the bottom and mounted the walnut foot. "5 3/4 overall by "4, 7 coats of WOP, not buffed yet.

John Keeton
04-10-2011, 8:04 AM
Tim, I am most impressed with the precision in your work. The pieces are all fitted very well, and you appear to have done an excellent job of finishing the piece. Toolwork looks good, and the wood combination in this piece is sweet! Nice job!

David E Keller
04-10-2011, 9:48 AM
Tim, your series of recent posts have been impressive... This piece is no exception.

For me, the foot and collar are a little large for the piece proportionately, but it doesn't change the fact that I like this one a lot. Nice work!

Michael Short
04-10-2011, 9:50 AM
Tim, great looking HF. I like the collar for the lid and finial.

David Reed
04-10-2011, 10:08 AM
Tim:
Very nice uniformity in the shape plus it is well balanced. I too think the collar to be a bit heavy but all very well executed.

Bernie Weishapl
04-10-2011, 10:32 AM
Tim that is a great looking piece. I like the form and the collar for me is a little heavy but otherwise looks good.

Steve Schlumpf
04-10-2011, 10:38 AM
Tim - considering this is your first hollow form - you did great! Form comes with doing and you are starting out at a level most struggle to reach by HF #10. Keep at it - it does become easier with experience!

Tim Thiebaut
04-10-2011, 11:46 AM
Thank you all for the comments, every comment helps me to learn and grow so I appreciate all of them.

David DeCristoforo
04-10-2011, 11:57 AM
I almost like this as much as the "lidded box". Again, the flair at the top of the finial needs a bit more "refinement". But overall, this is a really nice effort. I especially like the way the lid "works". It looks, at first glance, like the whole walnut top would lift off which would be almost "prosaic". Nice the way you got the grain in the collar and lid to align.

Curt Fuller
04-10-2011, 12:15 PM
Nice one Tim! And a nice home for one of that gaggle of finials you've turned.

Baxter Smith
04-10-2011, 12:29 PM
Nice job Tim on number one! It took me a while to figure out how to not let the size of the jaws control the size of the bottom.

Mark Hubl
04-11-2011, 2:42 PM
Nice save. Don't forget to duck next time.