PDA

View Full Version : Wooden Chisel Box

Noah Barfield
04-10-2011, 1:05 AM
Hi all,

Quick odd question: Is there anyone who sells empty wooden chisel boxes?

I recently picked up a couple of used Ashley Iles bench chisels on e-bay (a lucky find and a great price). I'm really impressed with the quality of these chisels and have decided to buy a new one (or two :) ) a month until I have a complete set.

I don't yet have my wood shop set up yet, so hanging them up on a rack isn't really an option right now. I figured a box would be the safest place for them until I get the shop put in.

Thanks,

Noah

Matt Evans
04-10-2011, 2:03 AM
Go to a kitchen supply store (or target, kohls, etc) Buy a silverware tray/box. They make some halfway decent wooden ones that should work.

OR. . .

Machinist tool trays might work. There are several companies that sell small machinist tool boxes and drawers, so that might be an option, though a little pricier.

Barring that, give us dimensions, and I am sure someone can come up with one pretty quick.

Couldn't find any really quickly on the net, or I would have mentioned it.

mickey cassiba
04-10-2011, 5:26 AM
Another option would be to line a drawer with the thin foam sold for tool chests. A cut out for each tool can be easily made with a box cutter or soldering iron. place another sheet under the cut out sheet, and voila...a custom drawer for your nice new chisels.

lowell holmes
04-10-2011, 7:48 AM
Plastic shoe box containers from Target work quite well.

I have some in a long Shaker candle box I made.

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
04-10-2011, 9:48 AM
If you have a smoke shop in your area that sells single or small quantities of cigars, they often sell the wooden boxes that these cigars come in. Some of them are quite large. I got a bunch of these for cheap over the years and used them for storing all sorts of things. I used to keep my chisels in one after adding a fitting it with some corrosive-inhibiting liner and some wooden spacers to hold the chisels.

Now I just use a heavy canvas tool roll I've made. They aren't hard if you're halfway handy with a sewing machine.

Jim Belair
04-10-2011, 10:23 AM
If I recall correctly, Lee Valley used to sell some of their bench chisel sets in a box and you could purchase the box separately. I can't seem to find the ones now but you could check with customer service and see if the boxes are still available.

Jim B

Frank Drew
04-10-2011, 10:46 AM
If not mounted in a rack in a shop, I use chisel rolls, as Joshua mentioned.

Andrew Gibson
04-10-2011, 10:51 AM
I made my own chisle box. so... I will take the chance to post a pic or two.
just make sure you have the largest chisle on hand, they have a reputation of being longer then the others.
190953 190952

Jake Rothermel
04-10-2011, 11:54 AM
I second Matt or Joshua's ideas. From the sound of it, it's a temporary solution. Once you DO get your shop set up, would you be putting those chisels up in a rack? If so, then something viable and CHEAP would seem to me to be the way to go.

OR, buy something for your chisels that you could re-purpose later on to something else. Waste not, want not and all that...

-jake

Noah Barfield
04-10-2011, 1:16 PM
Thank you all for your suggestions. There is a thrift store in town that currently has a few cigar boxes, so that might be a way to go. Where would I find the types of liners that you all have mentioned?

I sure hope that this is a temporary solution. Convincing the wife to let me convert the basement (current status: crap storage) into a wood shop has been a long and arduous process. (-:

Noah Barfield
04-10-2011, 1:18 PM
I made my own chisle box. so... I will take the chance to post a pic or two.
just make sure you have the largest chisle on hand, they have a reputation of being longer then the others.
190953 190952

Andrew, that is a beautiful box! It's not only a practical way of storing your chisels, but a real testimony to your woodworking skills. Man, I hope I get there some day. I'm just starting out and am inspired by all of the talent on this forum.

Noah

Mike Henderson
04-10-2011, 3:53 PM
I tried boxes to store and carry various tools, including chisels. I quickly found that they take too much space and add quite a bit of weight when you transport them. Also, the box may not fit properly in your portable tool box. For chisels, I now use a chisel roll which is a cloth carrier with pockets on both sides. You put the chisels in handle first and roll up the roll to transport it. For use in the shop, I take the roll out of my drawer and unroll it on my workspace.

Mike

Mike Olson
04-10-2011, 4:12 PM
I convinced my wife to let me have the side of the stairwell heading into the basement. Just put up a stud wall and hang your bench on that wall. worked well for me for over 2 years and it took up none of my wifes crap space "er Decoration storage". The smoke shop near me gives away the cardboard boxes free an charges 1.00 for the wooden ones. I got a couple to make into a cigar box banjo but never did get around to that. I would suggest the canvas roll though as it would allow for easiest storage.

Tony Shea
04-10-2011, 6:19 PM
I've been using a chisel roll that Veritas offers for a reasonable cost considering it's made of leather. Very heavy duty suede leather roll that will last me a lifetime, or most of it where most my work is not outside the shop.

george wilson
04-11-2011, 1:45 PM
Nice box,Andrew!! I have to agree that boxes can be bulky,but at the same time,chisel rolls are so easy to cut. I do use chisel rolls myself,though,and have made boxed sets of fishtail gouges that I posted months ago. A simple pine box that nests inside a very busy little toolchest. I made simple handles for them,as I was re handling about 100 old carving tools at the time,and using a quick,simple design. Tru Oil finish.

Jim Neeley
04-11-2011, 3:05 PM
Beautiful work, George!!