PDA

View Full Version : Stretching the vortex

Hayes Rutherford
04-10-2011, 12:50 AM
A couple of days ago I got to visit with Dan Forman and do a little shopping while in the big city. I had arranged to pick up this old South Bend lathe from a friend and finally got it into my garage yesterday. This one is in pretty good shape but the motor hums until you spin the pulley and get it going.

I hope to get the motor to someone next week or find another one. Someone suggested a new capacitor and relay so maybe I can fix it. Quite a bit of tooling came with it and I am itching to try and make some steel and aluminum handles for some of my gouges. A number of other woodturning accessories also come to mind like a new vacuum adapter, spindle lock, and who knows what else. Meanwhile I will also be looking for a steady rest for this 9" model. (and info on how to use it!!)

Harry Robinette
04-10-2011, 1:05 AM
Hayes
Nice friend Old American Iron is good.But anyway SB lathes are out there everywhere go to E-bay and find a steady rest.I put a 7 x10 Harbor F.metal lathe
,a Jet 9 x 20 metal lathe and a Grizzly 8689 Mini Mill in my wood shop for just what your doing. It is nice to be able to make handles but also all the repair parts you need.The Little Machine Shop is who I get my stuff from but they don't carry stuff for the SB. There is a very good forum for SB owners at the Home Shop Machinist
Forum I think if not they'll know where to send you.If I can help just drop me a line or PM me anytime.

Steve Schlumpf
04-10-2011, 1:07 AM
Hayes - Congrats on your 'new' lathe! Have thought about picking up a small metal lathe for the same reasons you did. Hope you get it all up and running! Looking forward to seeing some of the projects once you get started!

Tim Thiebaut
04-10-2011, 3:54 AM
I have wanted an old south bend ever since reading JR Beall's book about 17 years ago, in it he shows off his old south bend. I hope to get one someday. This looks like a great old lathe, hope you get years of use out of this.

Dan Forman
04-10-2011, 4:11 AM
Looking forward to seeing it in action the next time I'm up that way. She's a looker!

mickey cassiba
04-10-2011, 5:29 AM
Very nice machine Hayes. The tool rest assembly is a real asset...that's what I miss the most with my little Delta. I'm a little jealous!

John Hart
04-10-2011, 5:54 AM
I am so jealous. Congratulations :)

Richard Jones
04-10-2011, 5:57 AM
Sweet looking rig. The motor issue does sound like the capacitor, have had a few like that.

Congrats on your score. Lots of tooling is counted as a separate score, so you get double word score for that.

Rich

John Keeton
04-10-2011, 7:02 AM
Hayes, I admire folks like you that are multi-talented!! Having a metal lathe does sound like it would be a real addition to a shop - but, only if one was resourceful enough to be able to use it. For some reason, metal and me do not get along! I have always felt comfortable with wood, but hated tinkering with machinery and cars. When I was a kid, all my buddies worked on cars - I took my gun and went to the woods! Just never felt comfortable with it. I sure look forward to what you do with this.

Bernie Weishapl
04-10-2011, 10:42 AM
Hayes that is a fine looking machine. I missed one at a garage sale of all things last year that went for $100. I would like to find one to make tool handles, etc.