PDA

View Full Version : Spring loaded rollers for router table?

Will Blick
04-10-2011, 12:39 AM
Of all the router table accessories, I can not find spring loaded rollers, to hold the work against the fence. When the stock has even thickness, a standard feather board works fine...but when the stock is uneven, such as 1" thick at one end, and 2" at the other end...3 ft long... if the feather boards touch the 1" side, the feather board will bind the stock as its fed through, maybe 1/4" stock tolerance at most ...

Has anyone seen a spring loaded roller system that can keep the stock flush against the fence which allows for some flexibility in stock thickness? I was thinking of spring loaded rollers, but maybe there is something else?

Brett Nelson
04-10-2011, 1:32 AM
Of all the router table accessories, I can not find spring loaded rollers, to hold the work against the fence. When the stock has even thickness, a standard feather board works fine...but when the stock is uneven, such as 1" thick at one end, and 2" at the other end...3 ft long... if the feather boards touch the 1" side, the feather board will bind the stock as its fed through, maybe 1/4" stock tolerance at most ...

Has anyone seen a spring loaded roller system that can keep the stock flush against the fence which allows for some flexibility in stock thickness? I was thinking of spring loaded rollers, but maybe there is something else?

Aigner, by Martin, has the perfect solution for you.

http://www.martin-usa.com/cms/_main/aigner/

But get ready to spend some money. None of the Aigner stuff comes cheap. The most basic setup for what you are talking would be;

Pressure module -- $350
Angle Bracket -- $45
Single Wheel -- $55

If you wanted to go up to a double wheel then you'll be $88. But I gotta say that their stuff is great if you have the $$.

I actually just made a copycat version of the table extensions today, and they work great. Made them from while melamine and scrap cherry. Four of them cost me a total of $100 ($25 each) where they cost about $350 each from Martin. :D

Chip Lindley
04-10-2011, 2:06 AM
Board Buddies are common hold downs that may work for you. They hold the work at an angle; both downward against the table, and in toward the fence.

Years ago, this type was available, but I doubt it is now. Something similar could be shop-made to push stock against the fence. The wheels are skewed at an angle toward the outfeed side, which effectively pushes stock toward the fence, same as a power feeder does.

mickey cassiba
04-10-2011, 5:35 AM
Do you have a machine 'graveyard' near you? Think surplus or salvage yard. Many of our moulders had just such an assembly at the infeed. one of those would be easily adapted to your purpose. Or if your handy, one coud be made using a roller with a spring shaped like a large'V'. The name escapes me right now, haven't had my coffee yet.:)

Will Blick
04-10-2011, 11:16 AM
Spring shaped like a large "V"..... hmmmmm... hurry and have your coffee, you might have part of the solution....

If I was to use a thin arm, say 1.5" tall, 15" long, and as thin as required. Mount in T Track and flex it against the fence, what material would be ideal for this? Something that has lots of flex characteristics.... I am thinking a thin metal would be best, but one that does not deform when flexed... any thoughts?