PDA

View Full Version : Raised panel router bits

John Keane
01-30-2005, 7:02 PM
Raised panel router bit sets have a raised panel bit and a rail and a stile bit.
Will somebody please explain the difference between the rail and the stile bit?

brent lenthall
01-30-2005, 8:01 PM
The inside cut (profile and mortise for door panel) is the same on the rail and stile. The end of the rail uses the 2nd cutter (I make this cut first) for the end "tenon" cut.

Carl Eyman
01-30-2005, 8:36 PM
But since I am a little confused by your question "whar is the difference between the rail and style cutter" I am assuming you are asking about the difference between (1) the rail and (2) the style cutters and not the difference between them and the panel cutter. If I am being simplistic, please forgive.

There are two cutters needed for the rails and styles . (and another for the panel, of course.) One of the cutters cuts the inside edges of both rails and both styles. That is they cut the interior edges of the "picture frame" that surrounds the panel There is another cutter that cuts the ends of the rails. Those four ends have to mate in a "cope" joint with the final few inches of the 4 edges of the styles. Some sets include a cutter that can be reconfigured to do the cope joint as well as the interior edge joint. Other more expensive sets include one cutter for each purpose.

I hope this has been helpful without being confusing.

John Keane
01-30-2005, 9:19 PM
If I understand what you two folks have told me is that the rail bit is used to cut the 'stub tenon' on the ends of both rails. TIA:)

Carl Eyman
01-30-2005, 10:01 PM
That is right, John. It also copes the rail so it fits over the molding of the stile.

John Keane
01-30-2005, 10:26 PM
Thank you. I appreciate the education.

Jim Becker
01-30-2005, 10:36 PM
Just to add to the vocabulary, the "rail and stile" cutters are also known as "cope and stick" cutters... :D But in a nutshell, they are the complimentary profiles that fit together neat and snug.