PDA

View Full Version : My Jet powered clamp cabinet

Lee Ludden
04-10-2011, 12:15 AM
I recently replaced my old bessy K body clamps with Jet Parallel clamps. My old clamp storage system wasn't really working out, and I needed something new. The only place in my garage-shop that was really available for storage was directly under the access door for the storage in the garage attic, limiting the distance I could come away from the wall to about 14".

I was inspired by Alan Lightstone's clamp rack he showed in this (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?141033-Clamp-Rack-Gloat) post. I finally decided on large but shallow base cabinet with 'doors' that also would provide storage so I had quick access to my most commonly used clamps.

Here is the cabinet closed:

I have my new Jet parallel clamps on the right, 4 each 60", 50", and 40" and 8 each 24" and 12". The left side has my Irwin quick-clamps, handscrews, and F style bar clamps. The Jet clamps are hung on fixed brackets I made specifically to hold them and they are glued and screwed to the back. The back of the left side is lined with French cleats about every 6" and everything is hung on brackets hanging from the cleats.

Each of these 'doors' is 80"x24" with 1/2" plywood back. The sides of the doors are 4/4 poplar/red oak (whatever I had available) and are just glued and pocket screwed together. The back is glued on screwed to the frame. I used 3 heavy duty door hinges on each side bolted through. I can hang on these doors and they don't budge.

Opening up, I basically repeated what I did for the doors, except with 8/4 for the sides where the doors would be mounted. I lined the entire back with French cleats and built all the holders to sit in there.

All told, I have over 160 clamps currently stored in there with room for more. It sure beats having things spread around the shop and brings me one step closer to being well organized.

Mike Wilkins
04-10-2011, 11:58 AM
This is a very innovative storage solution. Hope you don't mind if I 'borrow' this idea for my own shop. I may do something similar, except mine may need to be mounted to the wall. I have the dust collection piping mounted about 16" from the floor around half the shop, so wall-mount may be better for me. Thanks for the idea.

Neil Brooks
04-10-2011, 12:10 PM
Uh.

Beautiful.

Really great job !

Ben Hatcher
04-11-2011, 10:53 AM
Nice setup. I may have to borrow this on my clamp rack remodel. As much as the slots look really neat, what caught my eye was what you did with the yellow bar clamps, just setting them on the floor head down. That's probably the easiest solution I've seen, and there's no need to worry about opening them just enough to fit into a rack.