PDA

View Full Version : Shopping Gloat

Scott Lux
04-09-2011, 10:59 PM
I surprised my wife with a trip to Amish country this weekend. We stayed at a great B&B then spent our way across Holmes County. We started at Keim Lumber. If you haven't been there, see to that. There are a lot of lumber mills in the area and Keim sells some beautiful wood. They have a lot of exotics and a nice selection of domestics. (I saw a piece of 4/4 Apple 8" wide and 60" long)

Pic 1: the whole haul: BB 1/2" bowl gouge, Delta Micro Turning Tools, Purpleheart 6"x6"x4", 3 pieces Walnut 4"x4"x2.5", 1 piece Chamfuta(?) 4"x4"x2", 20 assorted pen blanks, 1 piece of mystery wood 7"x24"x1.5" (has some nice figure), and a Birds Eye Maple veneer core 7.5"x14".

Pic 2: pen blanks are Maccassar Ebony, Zebrawood, Curly Eucalyptus, Ziricote, Purple Heart, Redwood Burl, and Black and White Ebony

Pic 3: pen blanks are Tiger Myrtle, Olivewood, Lacewood, and a variety pack of African blackwood, Black Ebony, Bolivian Rosewood, Camelthorn, Coconut Palm, EI Rosewood, Pink Ivory, Tamboti, Thuya Burl, & Tulipwood

I do hope I didn't get ripped off on the veneer core, it was $13.50. I thought that was a good deal.

Steve Schlumpf
04-09-2011, 11:23 PM
Wow - looks like you had fun! You got some pretty wood there! Looking forward to seeing what you turn out of it - especially the birdseye!

John Keeton
04-10-2011, 6:31 AM
Scott, I don't know what you paid for the rest, but that birdseye veneer core looks like a whale of a deal, to me!! Great haul - and, a fun trip I bet.

John Hart
04-10-2011, 6:43 AM
Cool trip Scott. Next time you're in Holmes county, be on the lookout for the small amish sawmills (noted by the large piles of logs and firewood) Just drive up the driveway and ask if they have any cutoff slabwood. You will find a treasure trove of figured wood that they are just going to burn. Sometimes a truckload will cost $30 but if you're just after half a truckload, they'll just give it to you.

Scott Lux
04-10-2011, 2:32 PM
Did some checking this afternoon, and it looks like I got decent prices on most everything. Maybe the purpleheart is a bit high, it was $28. Everything else seems to be in line.

Michael James
04-10-2011, 3:07 PM
Nice haul!. I always thought the Amish seemed like nice folks.
mj