PDA

View Full Version : My 2nd Bowl

Tim Thiebaut
04-09-2011, 8:35 PM
I am embarrased to say I dont know what kind of wood this is, the tag had fallen off of the blank and I have no clue what kind of wood this is. Turned about 2 weeks ago, 3 coats of WOP, I will do at least 4-5 more then buff. Approx "8 1/2x "3. While turning it just seemed to lend itself to a thicker edge so I went with the flow, the rim was very splintery so I had to CA a lot around the rim and a couple of cracks in the sides.

In the first 2 photos I figured out my lighting I think and the heavy shadows are gone.

C&C are always welcome.

John Keeton
04-09-2011, 8:37 PM
Lot of improvement from the first to the second!! I really like this one. I would say it is a good candidate for ash, if I were guessing.

Harry Robinette
04-09-2011, 9:05 PM
Tim
Thats a beautiful bowl, the shape if really nice and sometimes thickness is a good thing.Keep up the nice work your doing good.

Lee Koepke
04-09-2011, 9:12 PM
I like thicker rimmed bowls when the need calls for it. Woods with that grain pattern (for me) it lends itself to more mass.

David E Keller
04-09-2011, 9:55 PM
Night and day better than your first, and your first was a heck of an effort. Keep 'em coming.

John Hart
04-09-2011, 10:01 PM
Very nice again Tim. And better than the first. Looks like you're pointed down the road the right way. I don't recognize that wood.

Curt Fuller
04-09-2011, 10:14 PM
There's something about a nice classic bowl shape that just makes you want to hold it in your hands. Very Nice bowl Tim! And I'd also say it's ash.

Bernie Weishapl
04-09-2011, 10:18 PM
Tim that bowl is well done. I do like simple and the finish is really nice.

James Combs
04-09-2011, 10:25 PM
I can't help you with the wood ID, I have those kinds of problems myself, but the bowl is very classy and well finished what ever wood it is.

Baxter Smith
04-09-2011, 10:36 PM
Good solid bowl Tim. Good for a couple hundred years at least!

Steve Schlumpf
04-09-2011, 10:38 PM
Tim - that is a pretty bowl! I agree with John and Curt - looks like Ash. Love all the curl!

Lighting is much better in the first 2 photos. You eliminated the hard shadows as well as softened the reflective hotspots. Next thing to work on is depth of field.... always something, right?

Tim Thiebaut
04-09-2011, 11:49 PM
Thank you everyone for the kind comments, I credit all of you with helping me learn during this journey.

Steve - What is depth of field? Could you explaine that please? I know that sounds bad that I dont know, but other then point and shoot I have no photo experience.

Steve Schlumpf
04-10-2011, 12:15 AM
Tim - depth of field is nothing more than focus. If you had a narrow depth of field - only a very small area of your bowl - such as the leading edge would be in focus. When you increase your depth of field - usually by allowing more time for the photo - then you could get the entire turning to be in focus. Sometimes a narrow depth of field works great to showcase one small area and other times - having the entire form in focus allows the viewer to admire the curve, grain, color, etc. It is up to the photographer to figure out how best to capture their vision.

Photography can be a lot of fun and - I admit to being a rank amateur at it - but really enjoy it! There are a number of folks here that excel at photography and I am sure would be happy to offer any assist - should you ask - but please start another thread so others can benefit as well.

Tim Thiebaut
04-10-2011, 12:17 AM
Thanks for the explaination Steve, before I do anything I will download the manual for my camera and....read it...lol...then go from there.

Steve Schlumpf
04-10-2011, 12:22 AM
Neat thing about digital is that you can take hundreds of practice photos... it's not like you have to wait weeks to get the photos developed to figure out what works! Have fun with it!