PDA

View Full Version : Bandsaw Gloat! vDHC.0

Douglas Clark
04-09-2011, 6:13 PM
I kinda curious how many times the "Bandsaw Gloat" title has been used around here, but not enough to stop me from having my turn with it!

So it's just a 14" G0555x and not some big fancy Italian jobber, but it's mine. In my shop and I have one of my own. YEAH!

Just a quick couple of notes. For those of you who caught my last couple of posts and are disappointed I didn't stick it out for the 513X2B, I assure you I had some solid reasons. First, I was able to take the $400 I ended up saving and putting it into getting a thickness planer (DW734 $300-new) and some MJ Grippers and Splitters for my table saw. So my little starter shop is finally starting to feel more rounded out. Second, I know that eventually I gonna want much bigger resaw capabilities, so I'm positioning my self for a second and bigger saw later. It occurred to me that if I got the 17" saw first, that it might be difficult to convince my wife (and thus myself) to spend the money on a second saw in a couple of years. I'd have been stuck in that dreaded middle-space where my existing saw would have looked just big enough that my wife would had trouble believing I really needed a bigger saw but just small enough that I knew better. So you can bet that going this route will make it more likely that I end up with two saws in the future!

I also wanted to make note of the fact that assembling and setting up this saw was far easier than I anticipated. I had been sweating it a bit because this is my first bandsaw, but it turned out to be easier than anticipated, which says a lot to me about the quality of Grizzly's product. I didn't even really end up needing assistance. Since I got the riser block with it, I separated the top and bottom half of the saw before I even took it out of the box and I assembled it in two-halves. The threads on the long connector bolt were good enough that I was able to hold the top half up with one hand and thread the nut onto the bolt with the other with no assistance. The only real adjustment I had to make during assembly was to flatten the bottom of the riser a bit. I think there was a little build of extra paint on one corner that was causing a little bit of rocking between opposite corners. However, I just laid down a sheet of 80 grit sandpaper on my flat tablesaw top and lapped the bottom of the riser block flat fairly quickly. The only other real challenge I had was figuring out how to re-tension the saw to be able to get the new longer blade on. But once I got it on, I got it to track dead center, top and bottom. Now as green as I am at bandsaws, again, much credit probably needs to go to Grizzly for producing a machine that has good fit out of the box. Dialing in the guides wasn't as difficult as I expected either. Although I notice that by putting the riser on the saw, you do have to pay more attention to the position of the blade guides as you adjust the post up and down. But considering the cost, of the saw, I wasn't expecting perfection.

Once I got everything dialed in last night (I stayed up until 3:00am doing it, I was so excited) I saved any operational testing for this morning since I didn't want to wake anyone. And I figured that I needed to re-check everything when I was a more alert and less fatigued. But first thing this morning I did some minor tests including some light re-saw and found that it's true what everyone says about the included blades being worthless. But luckily I've got some Timberwolf blades on the way and I'll probably get a couple Lenox blades before the summer is up. For now I couldn't be happier to just have a bandsaw!

Also, my 5-yr-old son was so excited for his dad that he agreed to take a picture using dad's iPhone. His framing is good but in his excitement he had trouble getting a clean shot. Still I include it here because "no pictures, no gloat" right!? :D

In the meantime, I hope everyone is having as good a weekend as I have so far.

190841 190842

Ken Fitzgerald
04-09-2011, 6:27 PM
Douglas,

Congrats on the new bandsaw! May it serve you well.

In the final analysis, it really only matters what the owner thinks of their tools.....and if he or she is happy....that's all that matters. Besides...I am firmly convinced it's not the tool but the skill of the woodworker that determines the quality of the finished project!

Again...Congratulations!

Paul McGaha
04-09-2011, 6:50 PM
Congratulations on the new Bandsaw. Beauty.

You suck.

PHM

Jim Rimmer
04-09-2011, 8:22 PM
Congrats! I've got a GO555X (w/o riser block) and I love it. You will too.

Douglas Clark
04-11-2011, 3:48 PM
Thank you gentleman. I have an update to my gloat, it brings added features and magic. In short, it just works!

Got my Timberwolf blades today. A 1/2" 3 tpi claw and a 1/4" 6 tpi claw. I've already done a couple brief resaws with the 1/2" WOO HOO! You don't realize just how bad that stock blade is until you've tried something (much) better. If the Lenox are as much better than the Timberwolf as some claim, then I can hardly wait to wear out my new blades to justify purchasing some of those at some point..

Right now, though, I'm one happy sawdust manufacturer! :D

Joseph Tarantino
04-11-2011, 7:19 PM
when you step up to a lenneox, hopefully purchased form iturra design, you'll wonder why you waited for the t-wolves to wear out. they really aren't anywhere near as good as the lennox blades iturra puts out.

Curt Harms
04-12-2011, 7:17 AM
It sounds like you're having as much fun as it's legal to have:D. A 14" saw can do a lot if you're patient.

Brian Kincaid
04-12-2011, 10:28 AM
...I know that eventually I gonna want much bigger resaw capabilities, so I'm positioning my self for a second and bigger saw later. It occurred to me that if I got the 17" saw first, that it might be difficult to convince my wife (and thus myself) to spend the money on a second saw in a couple of years...

Clever! I bought a monster bandsaw first because I wanted to run a carbide tip blade (I swap blades for curves of course). I also thought resaw would be part of every project. While the carbide tip blade is amazing I don't resaw quite as much as I thought I would. YMMV. Cute about the kiddo being as/more excited than you. Makes things fun and memorable.
-Brian

Andrew Joiner
04-12-2011, 10:48 AM
Good for you Douglas,
It's so easy to get bandsaw lust looking at the big bandsaws. Many (if not the majority) of photos of furniture makers using bandsaws in magazines are the 14" cast iron saws like yours.

I had a 14" delta in my shop when I did woodwork for a living. It did everything I needed including slicing up logs as big as I could lift.

Have fun with your saw.