PDA

View Full Version : Cup/Vase/Bowl?

Deane Allinson
04-09-2011, 5:33 PM
This was the last of my small walnut. I'm not sure if it would be called a cup, a vase, or a bowl. 4" dia. X 3 1/2" tall. I think that I like simple forms best. I need to get some figured wood to keep my turnings from being boring. Please critique or comment!
Deane

Dan Forman
04-09-2011, 6:32 PM
There is a difference between simple and boring. A good, simple shape will not be boring, and will not need figured wood to look interesting, but will stand on it's own.

We are not supposed to offer critiques in threads that don't ask for it - a lot of us have something in our signature line that ask for c + c = comments or critiques, which can be very helpful is assessing our work. If you would like that sort of feedback, please add a line to your post or signature that will allow it.

Dan

David E Keller
04-09-2011, 6:34 PM
I'm with Dan... It's not a complicated form, but it's far from boring. Nicely done.

David DeCristoforo
04-09-2011, 6:39 PM
That's a very nice cupvasebowl. And also a nice piece of smallnut. Simple forms like this can sometimes benefit from figured wood but just as often the figure can be distracting. I like it as is...

Brian Libby
04-09-2011, 6:52 PM
The C/V/B is very nice. Lots of time simple works! This is one of those times.

Deane Allinson
04-09-2011, 6:53 PM
[QUOTE=Dan Forman;1680666]

We are not supposed to offer critiques in threads that don't ask for it -

I didn't know that, Thanks Dan. I am always interested in critiques. I live in an world where aesthetics are seldom discussed.

Bernie Weishapl
04-09-2011, 7:04 PM
Nicely done Deane. I would not call that boring. Simple is good.

Steve Schlumpf
04-09-2011, 7:56 PM
Deane - that is some nice work no matter what you call it! Good form, pretty wood and I like the softened rim! Like you, I like simple forms the best but the longer I turn, the more I understand how challenging those 'simple' forms can be!

You did a really nice job on this one! Looking forward to seeing what you turn next!

John Keeton
04-09-2011, 8:39 PM
Deane, getting a nice, straight line on that outside is tougher than one might think! Very good work, and the walnut actually has a lot of character to it. I am not sure this piece would benefit from more figured wood.

Baxter Smith
04-09-2011, 10:54 PM
Very nice Dean. My favorite bowls are the simple ones out of pretty wood. I think walnut qualifies.:)

Michelle Rich
04-10-2011, 8:07 AM
nothing wrong with the wood..it's pretty.. not everyone has access to gorgeous wood..not everyone can afford it either. A good looking shape, and just regular wood can be just as lovely. Good artists know the difference.

Curt Fuller
04-10-2011, 12:43 PM
That's a classic CuVaBo!

Keith Westfall
04-11-2011, 1:04 AM
Did I miss something? 4th sentence in his original comments. But I like it as is, well done!

Please critique or comment!

Joe Watson
04-11-2011, 1:52 AM
...I need to get some figured wood to keep my turnings from being boring...
??? You already do, if you look towards the bottom, theres a face; two eyes and a mouth ;)

Nice clean and strait "sides", i personal dig just about anything made out of walnut.

_

Keith E Byrd
04-11-2011, 6:32 AM
Deane, I agree with others - simple is pleasing to the eye. I like this Bocuva!