PDA

View Full Version : 3 setscrews for McNaughten coring handle

Michael Ginsberg
04-09-2011, 5:18 PM
I recently bought the combined (large and standard) McNaughten coring set. On each end of the handle, there are three holes for set screws (two on one side, one on another). Woodcraft tech. support said you only use the two on one side to hold the cutters. What is the third for on the opposite side, what do you folks use it for?
Thanks.
Michael

Glenn Roberts
04-09-2011, 5:57 PM
Michael, I am not 100% sure but perhaps they are adding the extra threaded hole for a side handle ( if your using the handle for hollowing etc) assuming that it is typically an 8mm thread, like their ER handles, see link

http://www.kelton.co.nz/index_store.html

Mark Levitski
04-09-2011, 6:02 PM
My guess is that they are starting to put another hole for their "torque arresting side handle". I have a couple older Kelton handles that only have the two holes on the one side. If I screw in the side handle there is only one set screw remaining to hold whatever tool I've inserted.

Michael Ginsberg
04-09-2011, 6:04 PM
Perhaps guys. Thanks. By the way the handle is the plastic red stripe.

Reed Gray
04-09-2011, 6:32 PM
Well, that is a new one for me. Can't imagine a side handle for the coring tools as the support fingers/gates do that job very well. Maybe it could be a new mount for their laser.

robo hippy

Ralph Lindberg
04-09-2011, 8:28 PM
Robo, etal

The set I got included a metal rod, this rod fits in that end and allows you to add another handle length

Harry Robinette
04-09-2011, 9:39 PM
I have the old ones only two holes.but if the third hole is opposite I can't think of anything it would be used for on the other side.The two holes set screws are on top then the other one is on the bottom, got me??????

jeff schnell
04-09-2011, 9:58 PM
Maybe it's for attaching a laser? My wife bought me the complete set and laser but I haven't tried it yet. But I do have a lot of white oak to practice on now.

Ralph Lindberg
04-10-2011, 1:19 AM
Jeff
My laser rig attaches via the two holes, using an angle bracket to the overhead rig.

I actually don't use it, I found that the tool was too hard to handle with the addition of the laser guide

Reed Gray
04-10-2011, 1:11 PM
I didn't like the way the laser had to use the same two set screws as the blades, so if you wanted to use a different blade, you had to take the whole contraption off. I had it welded to the handle. Much better, and I can free hand with the hollowing tools as well. Having the laser made a big difference in my accuracy. I had gotten into the habit of aiming a bit shallow so I wouldn't make any more lamp shades.

robo hippy

Bob Bergstrom
04-10-2011, 7:13 PM
I rarely make a donut of the bigger bowl. I too aim a bit short and hole the smaller one. Thanks for the tip Reed.

Michael Ginsberg
04-11-2011, 9:56 AM
GOT THE ANSWER!! I got my email back from Kel McNaughten... He says "

Hi Michael,

Thanks for choosing a Kelton Product. Sorry about the confusion. Yes the blades are held in the handle by the 2 side set screws. The 3rd tapped hole is there so that when we release anther product to go with the system turners will be able to retro fit it without having to get another hole drilled and tapped into the handle. Hope that this helps. If there is anything else please let me know.

Regards,

Kel McNaughton.