PDA

View Full Version : starrett square c 33 metric or imperial blade

Brian Deakin
04-09-2011, 4:18 PM
I plan to purchase a Starrrett c33 square but am finding it difficult to decide to have the metric 150mm blade or the imperial 6 inch blade

I would like to know the thoughts of other members

regards Brian

Brian Kent
04-09-2011, 4:45 PM
What measurements do you think in? Inches or mm?

Jim McFarland
04-09-2011, 6:20 PM
I prefer metric blades: IMO easier to read & transfer measurements and much easier to divide measurement in half.

Ruperto Mendiones
04-09-2011, 6:37 PM
In the US perhaps you ought to have both. But I'd recommend metric. Last project I did was designed & executed in metric. No fraction conversion errors, no transcription errors, easier division.

After 60 years using inches and mixed fractions, I haven't programmed my brain to seeing in metric units. However using them is MUCH easier.

Ruperto

John Coloccia
04-09-2011, 6:48 PM
Well, two things to note:

1) the real difference is decimal or fractions. I have to think you can get an aircraft ruled blade in inches
2) it's not necessarily easier to work with fractions. I work off of centerlines all the time. For example, what's half of 2.718? However, I can tell you immediately with no thought required that half of 2 23/32" is 1 23/64".

I go back and forth. Working off a centerline I tend to prefer fractions. For all other measurements, I tend to prefer decimal. I've tried changing over to all metric, and I find it difficult as many of my calculators, references etc are all in inches.

Michael Peet
04-09-2011, 8:36 PM
What measurements do you think in? Inches or mm?

This. I tend to think in inches. I have two 6" rules; one is imperial on both sides, and one is imperial on one side and metric on the other. I HATE the combo metric one, and hide it so I won't pick it up by accident.

Use what you are most comfortable with.

Mike

Steve Griffin
04-09-2011, 9:01 PM
I still like imperial, but that doesn't mean I like fractions one bit. I "think" in decimal inches to 1/1000, and it's one of the single most helpful things I've learned. It's really the best of both worlds. Using calulator, spreadsheet cutlists, digital readouts etc are far easier without fractions.

Another question to ask is who are are you dealing with--if you are a individual hobbiest, you can do whatever you like. If you have employees or deal with US based customers, you are fighting the convention if you use metric.

I've posted it before, but here's a chart with decimal equivilents for 1/16 of an inch. It only took me a few projects to burn these numbers in my brain, and no doubt a smarter person could pick it up even faster.

-Steve

Jeff Duncan
04-09-2011, 9:32 PM
I'd have to go with imperial as that's what most of my shop and work is set up for. I do have a metric tape though as my CNC boring machine is metric and it makes measuring and setting up so much easier. I do find Imperial so much easier but suppose it's just because it's what I'm used to.

good luck,
JeffD