PDA

View Full Version : crossdressing acrylic

stefano panusa
04-09-2011, 3:49 PM
:D

So I can't cut metal with my 40w laser, fine. I was wondering if there was any product that I could paint/spray onto my finished product to make it look like metal ? not mirror shiny, just metal looking.

I guess on the other hand is there a product that looks like brushed aluminum but cuts like acrylic ?

Thanks!

Dan Hintz
04-09-2011, 3:58 PM
Rowmark and IPI make metal-looking plastics. Several paints you can spray on that look okay with proper prep.

Martin Boekers
04-09-2011, 4:12 PM
:D

So I can't cut metal with my 40w laser, fine. I was wondering if there was any product that I could paint/spray onto my finished product to make it look like metal ? not mirror shiny, just metal looking.

I guess on the other hand is there a product that looks like brushed aluminum but cuts like acrylic ?

Thanks!

I use black acrylic and spray it with Krylon Fusion rattle can. They have several "hammered" metalic finishes.
Engraving though the paint lets the black acrylic show and gives some contrast. I use this method quite a bit!

It's not metal, but it does give a nice effect. Very durable if you are considering outdoor usage.

Here is a cool product from Acrilex

www.acrilex.com/selector.cfm (http://www.acrilex.com/selector.cfm)

Most be custom ordered in large sheets as it is not a stock item (wish it was!)

stefano panusa
04-09-2011, 4:40 PM
Thanks Martin, that's the type of info I was after.

Do you prep the black acrylic in anyway before spraying ? and is it one coat, two ?

Acrilex looks amazing. The metal finish with techno texture seems too good to be true.

Martin Boekers
04-09-2011, 5:56 PM
Thanks Martin, that's the type of info I was after.

Do you prep the black acrylic in anyway before spraying ? and is it one coat, two ?

Acrilex looks amazing. The metal finish with techno texture seems too good to be true.

The Acrilex is $$$$$$$ it's not just a top coat it's through the piece, it's ashame
they don't have basic metals off the shelf. Can't go a full sheet on speculation..

As for the black, I just spray as much as needed to cover the black. 2 or 3 coats.
you don't want to put it on too heavy, it takes a bit to dry. Usually and hour or so
after spraying I'm ready to go.

This paint was designed to paint outdoor plastic chairs that are weathered so it
is REALLY durable. I've done signs indoors and out for over 2 years no problems.

Get creative you'll find many uses for this stuff.