PDA

View Full Version : Unisaw x5 questions.

michael gates
04-09-2011, 3:31 PM
I bought a used x5 unisaw today.

Is there something I can grease to get the tilt and raise/lower to spin smoother?

What is the point of the unifence fence laying flat vs standing up as normal?

Thanks

mickey cassiba
04-09-2011, 3:52 PM
Congratulations Michael...nice saw. In answer to your questions:
1. Smack the cover with the flat of your hand in a sideways manner(i.e front to back or vice versa) it'll pop off with one or two good licks. Don't use a hammer or any prying device.
2. Clean the factory grease and sawdust off of the screws and apply a dry lube such as graphite. This will keep sawdust from sticking and accumulating.
3. As I recall from the manual, the flat application of the fence is for running thin(not to be confused with narrow) stock. Possible that it could make the use of some jigs and fixtures easier too. I have the same fence, and have never used it flat.

michael gates
04-09-2011, 3:57 PM
Thanks Mickey, I figured out the side cover after I got the slider out of the way so I edited my post but not quite quick enough.

Chris Rosenberger
04-09-2011, 3:58 PM
I cannot help with the motor cover. I have not had a saw with the plastic motor cover.

I like to use a product called jig a loo to lube the tilt and raise/lower gears & shafts. Jig a Loo is a spray on lube that dries. I got it at one of the big box stores.
Any kind of lube will work, but oil based products will cause saw dust to build up on the parts.

The lower fence is for cutting thin parts & also for being able to trim veneer & laminates glued on panelson panels. I have never laid mine down, but other people do.

Chip Lindley
04-09-2011, 9:30 PM
Parafine aka Gulfwax/candlewax, works well on the cog teeth to smooth out the action. It does not attract sawdust to gunk up the mechanism like grease does. Don't try to melt it on; just rub some into the rack teeth, then crank the raise and tilt completely through their travel a couple of times to spread the wax onto the worm gears.

Charles Lent
04-10-2011, 8:51 PM
I use Johnson's Paste Wax on the gears and ways of my Unisaw, and have done so for years. I apply it liberally with an old tooth brush. The surface of it hardens, so it doesn't collect sawdust like petroleum lube. I also apply it to the cast iron top and the fence extrusion of the Unifence to prevent rust and to make the boards slide easily. A few minutes after application on these I buff off the excess with a dry rag. The remaining wax forms a smooth water resistant finish. I Re-wax whenever the wood doesn't seem to slide easily, or at least monthly on tune-up day when I do an accuracy check and maintain all of my shop tools.

Charley

michael gates
04-11-2011, 11:53 AM
I got everything working good now, no more squeaks!