PDA

View Full Version : Kaleidoscope

Curt Fuller
04-09-2011, 3:14 PM
I was cleaning out some of my woodturning junk and found some stuff I bought I don't remember when. Found this kaleidoscope kit so I decided to build it. The tube is olive, ends are walnut. Base is a walnut bowl that I cut up with the bandsaw, kind of an odd thing, but it holds it so it doesn't roll on the floor and break. The glass thing in the end is filled with seashells. Makes a pretty neat image.

190833 190832

Bernie Weishapl
04-09-2011, 3:16 PM
That is pretty cool Curt. I like the wood combo and stand. Well done. I need to do the same thing and go thru my drawers. Not sure what I have any more.

Jim Burr
04-09-2011, 3:26 PM
Cool toy Curt...has that old world Capt Bligh look to it....AArrrgggghhhh!!

Michael Short
04-09-2011, 3:27 PM
Very Nice Curt.

John Keeton
04-09-2011, 3:42 PM
Ahhhh....hidden treasures!! Sometimes it pays to clean out stuff. Pretty neat turn, Curt! Can you change out the "fill" in the end? Some shredded/tumbled art glass might be neat, too.

Mark Hubl
04-09-2011, 4:36 PM
Very neat Curt. Glad you found the kit and put it together.

David E Keller
04-09-2011, 6:27 PM
That's cool... It might keep the little ones busy for a while(Maybe some of the big ones too).

David DeCristoforo
04-09-2011, 6:35 PM
Ahh... Kaleidoscopes. Now that brings back some memories. And I don't mean from when I was a kid. There was a time in my life when I partook of some "inebriating substances" and the kaleidoscope was a favorite pastime of my friends and I. Haven't seen one in a long time though. And all of the ones we had were cardboard. I really like the stand you came up with.

Tim Thiebaut
04-09-2011, 6:51 PM
Very nice Curt, I have wanted to turn one of these, I like this style a lot, I dont like the small sliding style I have seen. Do you remember where you got this kit from?

Steve Schlumpf
04-09-2011, 7:59 PM
Curt - really cool project! Been years since I have even thought of a kaleidoscope but you sure managed to pull this one off well! Cool idea for a stand and I would never have thought to use sea shells! Thanks for sharing!

James Combs
04-09-2011, 9:35 PM
Curt, thanks for the reminder, I do belive I have a kaleidoscope kit stashed away someplace, one of those egg shaped ones. I like the shape of yours a lot better then an egg. I may have to see if I can modify it a little.

Curt Fuller
04-09-2011, 10:33 PM
Thanks everyone!

Can you change out the "fill" in the end? Some shredded/tumbled art glass might be neat, too.
No John, the glass container is filled with what looks like mineral oil and sealed and the container is siliconed into the kaleidoscope. They have a choice of the containers when you order and I think one of then has the glass you're talking about.

Tim Thiebaut "Do you remember where you got this kit from?"
Craftsupplies http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/store/Projects___Kaleidoscopes___Oil_Cell_Kaleidoscope__ _oil_cell?Args=

Baxter Smith
04-09-2011, 10:48 PM
Nice job Curt. Always something new!

David Reed
04-10-2011, 10:15 AM
Very nice turning and wood selections. The base idea is great.
I have seen these for sale and on my list to try my hand. Think they are kind of cool.