PDA

View Full Version : magnet prices going up

Mike Null
04-09-2011, 12:55 PM
For those who make name tags and use a lot of magnets JDS has advised that their costs have more than doubled in the past 30 days and they are expecting more increases. Their product comes from China. They will likely increase their prices within weeks.

Doug Griffith
04-09-2011, 2:21 PM
In case anybody is interested, I buy flexible magnet by the roll from www.allmagnetics.com

They have good pricing

Joe Pelonio
04-09-2011, 2:33 PM
In case anybody is interested, I buy flexible magnet by the roll from www.allmagnetics.com (http://www.allmagnetics.com)

They have good pricing
Me too, but for name badges you need the magnetic badge holders. I have heard through some day job contacts that all items coming from China will be going up greatly in price, now that the workers there are demanding better pay
and fuel prices keep going up.

Michael Hunter
04-12-2011, 9:49 AM
Since the Californian mine closed, the Chinese have a total monopoly on the stuff needed to make the strong rare-earth magnets. They won't export the raw material, but only the finished magnets.
I'm surprised that the price had not gone up sooner.

Rodne Gold
04-12-2011, 9:59 AM
Not so sure pricing has doubled on badge magnets Ex China , I buy lots of em from 2 different companys and just put in an order and my pricing hasnt gone up from either. ??

Martin Boekers
04-12-2011, 10:00 AM
Thanks Mike,

I just invested my retirement fund (Yup the whole $150.00) in magnet futures. SWEET!:D

I go through quite a bit of these so I did stock up!

Dave Russell Smith
04-12-2011, 11:51 AM
I have heard through some day job contacts that all items coming from China will be going up greatly in price, now that the workers there are demanding better pay.

Well I did not see this coming. Draw countries in to depend on your goods let them become dependent on you then raise your prices.

David Fairfield
04-12-2011, 1:46 PM
Martin, you shouldn't put all your investments in one commodity. You have to diversify. Canned corn and chinese magnets, that's where I put all my $150. :-)

Martin Boekers
04-12-2011, 2:13 PM
Martin, you shouldn't put all your investments in one commodity. You have to diversify. Canned corn and chinese magnets, that's where I put all my $150. :-)

I think you're onto something with the canned corn. At least that's an investment that I can eat!

Dan Ashlin
04-13-2011, 8:08 PM
Me too, but for name badges you need the magnetic badge holders. I have heard through some day job contacts that all items coming from China will be going up greatly in price, now that the workers there are demanding better pay

Well, Lucky for us, most of the things in the awards industry won't be effected then. Oh, wait....

Leo Graywacz
04-13-2011, 8:51 PM

This is truly some of the best news to come down the pike. If prices from China go up enough it may spur companies to keep business here instead of outsourcing it.

Rodne Gold
04-13-2011, 9:55 PM
Most things in the award insdustry are from China , Im going there in 2 weeks time and almost one week of my visit is to source acrylics , crystal , cups , trophys , wood bases and plaques and shields , marble bases, figurines , columns etc. The pricing from china is so good that even if their prices doubled , the products are still economically viable. Not only that , the quality is pretty much up there with anything else.

Mike Null
05-08-2011, 7:19 AM
JDS has announced their increases effective May 16. They have also announced that later in the year the prices will likely double again. JDS is a major supplier and have had the best prices I could find. If you use these for name tags i suggest you get an order in now. I haven't heard from Johnson Plastics but suspect theirs will go up as well.

Ron Chapellaz
05-08-2011, 12:58 PM
I received an email from JDS, (as I'm sure most of you have) about the price increase. I've got an order going in on Monday. Thanks for the heads up Mike!

Rodne Gold
05-09-2011, 11:15 AM
I am currently in Yiwu , Yiwu is the small commodities market in China.
There are 5 "districts" , a district is a huge building with 4 floors and about 1500 manufacturers shiwrooms/shops/stalls per floor.
One of the districts I visited had about 50 places selling magnets..every type of magnet imagineable, from rare earth to rubberised to what ever...this place is amazing. The magnets are dirt cheap , the badge magnets (loose small round ) are about 2-5 cents a pieces. To buy em + the metal bars to make a bar type double badge magnet would not cost more than us 15c.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Yiwu itself is just beyond belief..apart from the permanent fair districs there are 100's of streets witth small hole in the wall shops selling machinery..one whole street selling sublimation machinery!!!
The pricing here is dirt cheap, forget dubai (I passed thru it and spent 5 hrs there) , if you want a shopping trip to buy boys toys/kettes/tools/knifes/ leds (there were about 100 mnfgrs of led stuff, ropes,strips ,globes, lamps) and fashion/shoes/bags/leather for your wife to go mad buying all other stuff , take a grand and come home with 1/2 a container!!!!
My agents are taking me to the trophy/woodwork/marble/crystal/glass awards places and other giftware/laserbles the whole of this week..I am then goingto beijing for engraving laminates and acrylic sheeting and then to Jinan to see the laser/cnc engraver ppl and then to Xiamen to see the marble base and wood guys. I will report back every day , will start a thread tommorow "despatches from China"
I can tell yout this tho..china aint backward and the quality of goods is not what you think!!!
In Yiwu ,the traffic is like the wild west..in the 12 or so km i have travelled here , the taxis had about 50 near misses , ppl just GO no matter what the lights say or whether there is actually a gap , lots of scooter riders and small moped like delivery vehicles,all ridden with no crash helmets, and no one stops for them and they dont stop for anyone, even at pedestrian crossings , the cars/whatever just go and crossing a road here is life threatening!!!
Lots of iraqis, iranians , african nations, haiti , argentian ppl here , this is a melting pot of the worlds buyers...you can get ANYTHING here..opportunities in any endeavour exist here ...

Doug Griffith
05-09-2011, 11:20 AM
Thanks Rodne, your China thread is one I will definitely follow.

Tony Taurisano
05-10-2011, 4:23 PM
When I tried to order magnets yesterday there we already out of a bunch.

Plus their Value Plaques are kinda scarce too.

Rodne Gold
05-11-2011, 1:59 AM
I got prices on the magnets and the bars , top quality magnets are 3.5c each and the bars are about 5c for both flat one and the one the magnets need to be glued into. prolly cost 20c-25c landed and glued....

Martin Boekers
05-11-2011, 11:44 AM
I got prices on the magnets and the bars , top quality magnets are 3.5c each and the bars are about 5c for both flat one and the one the magnets need to be glued into. prolly cost 20c-25c landed and glued....

Right now I get mine from JDS $.26ea I always thought that was a pretty good price.

Stocked up for at least a year as it is a product I always will go through. I guess the
days are gone when every few months they would have a sale on them.:mad: