PDA

View Full Version : Worksharp 3000 + Veritas Skew Grinding Jig = Very Sharp Oval Skew

Ken Casser
04-09-2011, 11:31 AM
I picked up the Worksharp 3000 recently, and after sharpening my plane irons and bench chisels on it I've come to learn about what 'sharp' really is. So, I've been scratching my head trying to figure out a better way to sharpen my Sorby Oval Skews than the other methods I've tried, and I think I've got it. Don't tell me about 'freehanding' - my eyes and hands don't cooperate to allow me that luxury. Even freehanding the skew on the leather wheel rounded over the already sharp edge for me. But, using the Veritas jig, I can grind very quickly, and then hone with the leather wheel and then the felt wheel very precisely. I might even try sharpening my parting tool with it. :) Any comments or suggestions?

Ken

David E Keller
04-09-2011, 6:48 PM
Looks like you've found a good setup... You can't argue with sharp!

Brian Libby
04-09-2011, 6:55 PM
When you find something that works-keep on doing it!

chester mccarter
04-11-2011, 11:29 AM
if you figure out a way to sharpen fingernail grind please let us know

Ken Casser
04-11-2011, 12:01 PM
Good question. I think I'm going to keep doing that on my wheel with the Oneway jig. I did put felt wheels on my 1725 rpm grinder though, reversed the rotation, and that seems to really produce a nice edge.

Jerry Marcantel
04-11-2011, 12:42 PM
if you figure out a way to sharpen fingernail grind please let us know

All you would have to do is set up a pocket for the Vari grind jig, and lower the grinder to a comfortable position, then grind until you get your proper grind..... Sounds simple and it should work.. The chisels don't really care which way they are oriented while being sharpened. ............. Jerry (in Tucson)

Ken Casser
04-11-2011, 3:33 PM
Very true, Jerry...but then I'd have to stand on my head. :D Actually, I might think that gravity would make that approach a little uncomfortable, and might cause the wheel to pull the VariGrind out of the pocket. Let me know if you try it. :)

Jerry Marcantel
04-11-2011, 5:24 PM
Very true, Jerry...but then I'd have to stand on my head. :D Actually, I might think that gravity would make that approach a little uncomfortable, and might cause the wheel to pull the VariGrind out of the pocket. Let me know if you try it. :)

Ken, are you grinding on the trailing side of the grinder????? You would think you want to be on the leading edge, just like the veritcle grinders.....Jerry (in Tucson)

Ken Casser
04-11-2011, 6:01 PM
Jerry, maybe I don't understand what you're saying. In using the VariGrind with a standard grinding wheel, the base is horizontal, and the shaft of the VariGrind is at 45* to that. Gravity pulls the shaft back into the cup and the motion of the grinding wheel pushes the gouge in a similar direction. If you turn that sideways 90* so that the bevel will ride on the spinning WorkSharp disc, a) gravity is pulling the shaft out of the cup, and b) the motion of the disc is pulling the gouge away from you. I might think that those two vectors would gang up against you and make it more challenging to get a consistent result.

Dan Hintz
04-11-2011, 7:13 PM
Hang the Worksharp on the wall? :D