PDA

View Full Version : G3 Jaws Installation Problem?

Mike Turner
04-09-2011, 6:54 AM
I purchased one of the G3 Nova chucks when they were on sale last yr. I havent been able to get around to using it until now....

I tried to put the jaws on and unless Im doing something wrong all the screws are too long...Even without the jaws they will not screw in enough,,...I went by the directions ..simple as they were...putting #1 to #1 ..#2 to #2 etc and put them all on finger tight and then screwed the chuck until they touched , tried again and they still were too long ....Has anybody had this trouble...

My screws total length is 3/4"..... Just the threads are 5/8" long....... .When I tried a screw w/o the jaw there was more than the thickness of the jaw left.. Any help is appreciated !!

John Keeton
04-09-2011, 7:03 AM
Mike, it is possible that you simply got a batch of screws that were too long. I have not experienced that problem, but if the screws are not binding going in, then they must be bottoming out on the slide. Did you measure the depth of the hole and check that against the screw shaft? - just to assure the threading in the sliders is OK all the way down.

James Combs
04-09-2011, 11:05 AM
Based on my experience with changing jaws on my three Nova chucks I would say that you have received the wrong screws with your jaw set. I haven't measured them but I would estimate my screws at 1/2" or less overall in length.

bob svoboda
04-09-2011, 11:26 AM
Some Nova jaws require the longer screws, some the shorter. You must have received the wrong ones. You can buy sets of screws from Craft Supplies if you need to.

Art Manansala
04-09-2011, 11:37 AM
I bought the Nova G3 w/ 3 jaws in November from WC as well. It came with 3 sets of screws: 1 short black set, 1 long black set (3/4") and 1 set of steel colored. The short black set is for the jaws that came with the package, the steel ones for the cole jaws and I've yet to find a use for the longer black screw set.

Art

Bill Bolen
04-09-2011, 12:32 PM
Art, I believe the long black ones are for attaching the 2" jaw on top of the cole jaws. Both jaws mounted at the same time. That is something that made me a bit nervous when I saw it pictured. Mike, just let wc know they shorted you a set of screws. I'm sure they will make it right.

Art Manansala
04-09-2011, 3:05 PM
Art, I believe the long black ones are for attaching the 2" jaw on top of the cole jaws. Both jaws mounted at the same time. That is something that made me a bit nervous when I saw it pictured. Mike, just let wc know they shorted you a set of screws. I'm sure they will make it right.

Oh, I've not tried that (and don't recall seeing it mentioned in the sparse instructions). I'll give it a try this afternoon.

Thanks for the tip Bill!

Mike - this sounds like a near term solution for you while waiting for WC to send the short screws.

Art