PDA

View Full Version : Dust Control

robert raess
04-09-2011, 1:50 AM
I have a nice dust collector[2 hp 230v].I use it on my tablesaw, but i don't use it on my lathe.When i turn, it may be for 4-6 hrs,and i just don't want to run the collector that long+ the noise for the collector.I run my Jet air Filtration, while i'm turning+ a nice dust mask.Does anybody run there Dust collector all day? any ingenious options i.e. a Fan with a filter[furnace filter] attached?Since my shop is all single phase,I'm concerned about cost of running lathe[PM 3520b],2hp dust collector +Air filtration all at once.Being in the Hardwood Floor business,i pretty much worked all day with a dust mask,and got the best avail. to my knowledge.I'd like some feedback..i know there's some ingenious guys out there..awaiting your reply, Rob

Tony De Masi
04-09-2011, 8:28 AM
Robert, I don't know of anyone who keeps their DC running while turning. Not saying that no one does it, I just don't know of anyone. Especially if turning green wood it's probable that you would clog up your lines with the wet shavings. If you look at where your shavings are flying while cutting not much of them are going directly behind the turned object anyway. You would have to have one huge DC opening to even come close to collecting them. I do have a DC leg to my lathe but I only use it while sanding which I think you will find is what a number of folks do.

Dan Hintz
04-09-2011, 8:41 AM
Tony,

I may be the first to try collecting green ;) With the laser in the shop, I can't take the chance of chips getting anywhere but in a bag.

Fred Belknap
04-09-2011, 9:02 AM
When I turn dry wood I use the DC. If I'm turning wet wood I don't usually. I have two 4" pvc pipe to both sides of the lathe and most of the time both are open. I suck up most of the curlies from the floor when I'm done with the DC. My DC is set up so that I can easily clean the blower.

Greg Just
04-09-2011, 10:28 AM
I only use my DC when sanding. It just can't be positioned perfectly to suck up the flying chips. A broom and dust pan is used to pick up the chips and then they go to the mulch pile in the woods. I do run my overhead air cleaners all the time I'm working the the shop.

Bernie Weishapl
04-09-2011, 10:32 AM
I only run my DC when sanding also. Like Fred I will run it at times when turning dry wood. It just doesn't pick up the heavy green wet chips anyway so why run it. A scoop shovel and broom take care of the chips.

Steve Schlumpf
04-09-2011, 10:55 AM
Robert - when I first started turning, which was all dry wood spindle stuff, I always used my DC at the lathe. Worked better than nothing. When I turned my first green wood bowl, I found that the DC didn't like it! It didn't clog the DC hose - it clogged the fine filter bag! All those damp/wet fine particles embedded themselves into the fabric, dried quickly and caked up! Made for a heck of a mess for me to clean up before I could use the DC for anything!

Since then, I use the DC when sanding and sometimes when finish turning a piece, but mostly just when sanding. I did make a filter of sorts that uses an attic vent fan and furnace filters. I run that when green wood turning and it works fairly well at grabbing whatever fine particles are being thrown into the air. I do have a heavy canvas drop-cloth hung up around my lathe to help keep shavings/dust within that confined area. Works for me.

Reed Gray
04-09-2011, 1:02 PM
Most of what I turn is green wood, so a dust collector isn't needed. When turning dry wood, I will have at least the hose behind the work. Best to collect the dust at the source. When sanding out my bowls, I have a hood that encloses most of the bowl so no dust gets out. I don't like the dust masks, and my beard isn't much of a filter. Having a 2 stage dust collector is best because anything that does get sucked up goes through the cyclone, and never hits the fan blades, and doesn't go into the dust filter. It is on a dedicated circuit.

robo hippy

Tim Thiebaut
04-09-2011, 2:11 PM
Most of the wood I turn is dry..usualy bone dry, my DC runs all the time, I can adjust the hose to sit "1/2 from the work piece if I want to. And really when I am working on a project and focused on that I dont even hear the DC running so the noise dosnt bother me at all, I just dont even think about it. The few wet pieces I have turned I didnt worry about having it on, but other then that...runs full time, I would rather wear it out then my lungs. I want one of the fancy face shields with power air to it but cant afford it.

Jim Heikes
04-09-2011, 2:43 PM
I also only use the DC for dry wood and sanding. As far as capturing chips and shaving......NO WAY......I have a 5hp Oneida Gorilla which will suck up a passing beagle but i won't capture the majority of the shavings of green wood.

Alan Zenreich
04-09-2011, 2:51 PM
I turn wet wood, dry wood, stabilized wood, acrylics, tru-stone, M3 metal, etc.

If either my lathe or Lauren's lathe is running, so is the two stage dust collector (with a Thein baffle).

I also recognize that we're on one extreme end of the dust collection continuum. We also wear powered respirators/helmets whenever we turn. We try to protect our lungs from dust we can't see.

Our shop is in the basement, below our office (full of computers and electronics) and our dining room.
So, we have extra incentive to gather as much dust as possible as close to the source as possible so that it doesn't infiltrate into the rest of our home. If there's any significant dust being produced, I'll also turn on the shop's air filtration unit.

When I ride my motorcycle, it's with a full face helmet, hearing protection, full armored clothing, extra lighting and a conspicuity vest for both rider and passenger.

Over the years we've seen (or heard of) too many incidents that could have been mitigated into non-events by using the right equipment. This applies both in the shop and on the road. We err on the side of caution and protect our lungs, eyes, face and hearing when using shop equipment.

So, for those who don't know anyone who uses a dust collector on a regular basis... now you know at least one of us who does.

Harry Robinette
04-09-2011, 4:07 PM
I use my DC anytime one of the lathes is on.I turn wood thats wet,dry or in-between,I have two flex hoses from Woodcraft one in front and one in back. I turn them down a little when turning wet wood so they can pick-up the small stuff but not get clogged with shavings.When turning dry or almost dry I turn them up at the wood and they pick-up everything thats close but mainly the dust.I also wear a powered air face shield. My DC is in a quite room so all I hear is the air rushing into the hose.My Jet ambient air cleaner goes on as soon as I inter the shop. My whole shop is piped with DC ducts to every machine and there used.I had throat cancer in 1999 and also have some lung problems.
The Doc said it's much easier and cheaper to keep the dust out of your lungs then to get it out once it's there. I CHOSE TO BELIEVE HIM !!!

Jim Burr
04-09-2011, 4:30 PM
I only run my Jet scrubber (110v) when something is on...band saw, sander, drill press. I just had a portion of my lung removed last month and am a Respiratory Therapist in Real life involved in 3 studies on non dirt particulates in the lungs and related diseases. I know these guys are tired of my soap box, but my hospital bills from Feb to date are $173,000...how much is your dust collection equipment and what kind of annoyance did you say you had from it? I woke up with a tube in my throat...that was annoying. Glad I have excellent insurance!
Those that turn green wood...the heat from turning dries out wet particals and suspends them in the air. There is no such thing as lung safe turning...the life you save may be yours.

Jim Heikes
04-09-2011, 4:52 PM
Jim (Burr)

What is your advice to turning green wood with only the use of an AirShield Pro or other positive air respirator?? I do use both DC and respirator when turning dry wood and sanding.

Jim Burr
04-09-2011, 5:32 PM
Jim (H) Anything...I use a Trend all the time. The particles from green wood are no different than from dry. Trend, Triton...whatever it is...use it and breathe well. The annoyance of putting it on is nothing compared to what I am still going thru. Any cancer survivor will tell you to stop what you were doing before you get cancer and do what we do now. Mine was not caused by turning...but the inflammation in my airways is. That is one of the items I talked our Medical Director into creating a study on. He loves pens and we have several MD's that turn...makes it easy to push a study through. Bottom line...if it doesn't belong in your lungs...keep it out. I have a 1000cfm Jet scrubber that was cheap, connected to the main light for the shop...whatever it takes!! Thanks for asking and stay healthy!!

David E Keller
04-09-2011, 6:38 PM
I run mine all the time, but it's in a 'noise dampening' closet... It's still pretty loud, but I can adjust the radio to drown it out. I need to get an air scrubber. I'd love to say that I own a powered respirator, but I know that I wouldn't wear it.

Alan Zenreich
04-09-2011, 8:14 PM
David,

Aside from the filtration that the powered respirator provides... there's a side benefit.
The air flowing over your face pretty much assures a fog free shield, and a pleasant breeze while turning.

On the rare occasion that I use a regular (Bionic brand) faceshield, I really miss the air flow. So I use the non-powered shields only when I'm away from my own shop (in a class, for example).

Baxter Smith
04-09-2011, 11:12 PM
My 5 hp cyclone is in a separate closet. I run it and the ceiling airfilter whenever I am turning or sanding. 95% of the time I wear an airstream respirator as well. I have taken in enough sanding dust, drywall dust, fiberglass insulation,pressure treated etc. to become a lot more sensitive to any of it than I used to be. That being said I still don't wear the respirator for anything other than turning so am not as careful as I should be.

Rich Aldrich
04-10-2011, 7:30 AM
I use my dust collector, a 5 hp Clearvue, all the time when sanding and sometimes when turning dry wood. I also use the Trend Airshield Pro which I recently aquired. This new model seems to be very good. You do not smell the wood even when cutting pine on a tablesaw. I also use a Jet air filtration unit to scrub the air in the shop.

If you are turning green (wet) spalted wood, you should wear some type of protection to keep the fungi out of your lungs.

Bernie May
04-10-2011, 7:57 AM
Check out the Dylos DC1100 air monitor. Cost is around $200 and one of the best investments you can make. Without it you are only guessing at your air quality in the shop. with it you can monitor each of your tools and the effectiveness of your dust collector and air cleaner. Be sure and take it outside to monitor outside air and in your living area as well.
-bernie

annie wilson
02-25-2012, 4:50 AM
Dust control equipment is necessary to reduce the dust and the risk of respiratory ailments, particularly where construction is concerned.There are a many different varieties of dust control products available in the marketplace today.

Doug Herzberg
02-25-2012, 9:37 AM
I know these guys are tired of my soap box

Jim, don't get off your soap box. I lost my dad to esophageal cancer and while the doctors were hesitant to blame his work and hobby environments (asbestos, metal work, woodworking), they mentioned it more than once.

I use my homemade overhead filter (furnace blower with progressively finer furnace filters) whenever I create dust and the DC when sanding or turning dry wood. I wear the Trend whenever I'm turning and am starting to think about it in other circumstances. As far as the noise, my plan is a little shop addition for the compressor and the DC to get them outside. Noise reducing earbuds connected to a bluetooth also help and allow me to stay in touch and listen to music on the MP3 feature of my cell phone.

An added bonus is the overhead filter circulates the heat from the wood stove very well.