PDA

View Full Version : Finial photos

Tim Thiebaut
04-09-2011, 1:00 AM
After some of my first attemps with finials were flops...to me they were anyway, I have spent alot of time over the past month or so turning finials, some of these already have a piece ready for them to go on, some were just plan practise and have no use at this time, but all are turned so that they can be used if I find a use for them at some point. The woods are varied from Cocobolo, cherry, claro walnut, curly maple, and 1-2 I forget what type they are. I turned some that were complete flops...those arent posted, and some broke while turning, these survived the turning.

Kathy Marshall
04-09-2011, 3:41 AM
Looks to me like you did a great job on all of them! Time to get busy turning things to put them on!

Dan Forman
04-09-2011, 5:30 AM
Lookin' good to me too! Time well spent. I think you get better far faster by approaching it like that, nothing like repetition to work out the bugs.

Dan

John Keeton
04-09-2011, 6:48 AM
Tim, what would be interesting is if these were arranged in order of turning. One might be able to see areas in which you have gained refinement. I think you have done an excellent job, and though I don't know the dimensions, the tall cocobolo in the left rear is very nice. Hopefully, you will find a use for some of these as they certainly deserve to be showcased on a form.

Baxter Smith
04-09-2011, 6:52 AM
Looking great! I can see lots of users there!

John Hart
04-09-2011, 7:07 AM
This is something I've never done...and I've always known that I need to do it. Maybe....just maybe, you've lit a little inspiration in me Tim. Nicely done.

Michelle Rich
04-09-2011, 7:34 AM
the way you described them I expected little horrors..they are very good. let's see them on some vessels!!

Donny Lawson
04-09-2011, 7:46 AM
Great looking work to me. What kind of wood is that 4th from the left ?

Tim Thiebaut
04-09-2011, 7:55 AM
Thanks for the kind works everyone! The 2 on the far left, and 1 of the claro walnut ones on the far right have HF's done for them now, I will be posting them by tomorrow. The other 2 claro walnut ones have HF that arent quite done yet but will be shortly.

Donny - That one is cocobolo.

Michael Short
04-09-2011, 8:01 AM
Those are some beauties. They all look good so it is hard to pick a favorite. GREAT work.

Ken Fitzgerald
04-09-2011, 8:09 AM
While some may find that method to be a boring approach to gaining some skills at turning finials, I think it would work well and certainly do believe it worked well for you. Some if not all of those deserve to be on a form.

Nicely done! Lesson well learned!

Bernie Weishapl
04-09-2011, 10:34 AM
Nicely done Tim and it shows you have gained skill in finial turning.

Steve Schlumpf
04-09-2011, 11:00 AM
Tim - nice variety of finials! Looking forward to seeing them in use!

Michael James
04-09-2011, 11:27 AM
Pretty impressive Tim! That strategy may work for me, rather than waiting to turn my 1st on a piece otherwise ready to go! Thanks for posting.
mj

David DeCristoforo
04-09-2011, 11:51 AM
There's some winners in there for sure. The "Keith Burns" style ones have an almost whimsical quality that I really like. I don't see a "clunker" in the bunch...

Mark Hubl
04-09-2011, 12:08 PM
Nice forest Tim. Good work, definetly a bunch of keepers.

Tim Thiebaut
04-09-2011, 12:10 PM
Thanks for all of the kind comments. The style on the right was actualy inspired by a piece I saw on this forum by Curt Fuller, Curt gave me permision to replicate one of his pieces that he posted a long time ago, tomorrow I will post my version of his turning.

David E Keller
04-09-2011, 6:47 PM
Great job! I wish I had the patience/will to just turn a bunch for practice... Looking forward to seeing what you stick under those beauties.