PDA

View Full Version : Mallet (Bonker?)

Tim Thiebaut
04-09-2011, 12:42 AM
It has been a while since I have posted any pictures, I finaly have my photo tent in and setup, this is going to take some practise so it may take me a while. I have quite a few things to post that I have been working on over the past month or so, I will spread it out over a couple days so I dont flood the place with pics, I will start with the minor stuff first and work up to the better stuff.

I turned this mallet a little over a month ago I think, it has been a while, it isnt as polished up as it was when new because I have been banging on things around the shop with it...hey I made it to use it right! Lignum Vita, "10 1/2 x "3 1/2 at the widest...this is pretty hefty, LV has some weight to it thats for sure.

C&C are always welcome.

Note - I was a little off center in the first pic, I didnt notice until I went to reduce the photo size.

John Keeton
04-09-2011, 6:53 AM
Tim, I like the form of this - looks to be "user friendly!" Nice soft finish, too. Always convenient to have a "whacker" lying around!

John Hart
04-09-2011, 7:08 AM
Bonkers are beautiful. :)
Nice Picture too.

Donny Lawson
04-09-2011, 7:52 AM
Nice Bonker,just don't make the wife mad. She might find another use for it.

Steve Schlumpf
04-09-2011, 10:01 AM
Nice looking bonker! What did you use for a finish?

James Combs
04-09-2011, 10:54 AM
Bonker, something I haven't done yet and apparently according to several different posts over the year or so that I have been on this forum, it is one of the first things a turner is suppose to do, a right of passage so to speak.:rolleyes: I guess I am a little late in the game but seeing yours and how great they can look I am going to have to put one on my schedule... could you send me that one as a pattern?:D

Tim Thiebaut
04-09-2011, 12:00 PM
Thanks everyone.

Steve it just has 3 coats of paste wax applied while still mounted and spinning.

David E Keller
04-09-2011, 6:29 PM
Pretty cool... I'll bet it's got a nice heft to it, and it sure is pretty to look at.

Baxter Smith
04-09-2011, 11:16 PM
Definitely should have a nice bonk to it Tim!