PDA

View Full Version : Introduction

Scott Hamner
04-08-2011, 10:42 PM
Hello All,

I have spent a few weeks lurking and trying to pick up things without showing that I am a novice. The laser is a added addition to our store, we embrodiery, sublimation print, general gifts... The laser gives us an additional product personalization line.

We are starting to get comfortable with the basics such as pens, keychains, desk sets but haven't tried to get too complicated yet.

Now that the introduction is over, I have a customer who has seen our anodized aluminum business cards and loves them. They would like to order 100 wooden, maple color business cards. I have looked for a supplier of blanks without luck. I thought I had seen one on here, I have searched the forum without luck. Anyone have a recommendation.

Thanks
Scott and Djuana

Mike Null
04-09-2011, 7:39 AM
Scott

Welcome to SMC. Please list the kind of machine you have and the area you're from.

You might try Big Sky Woodcrafters or http://www.coloradoheirloom.com/

Dan Hintz
04-09-2011, 7:54 AM
Quick and easy... Lee Valley sells packs of 50.

Ernie DeMartino
04-09-2011, 7:58 AM
You could also try Chewbarka

Dan Hintz
04-09-2011, 8:39 AM
Chewbarka does anodized aluminum... he wants wood (I know, kinda confusing after his mention of Al).

Josh Richard
04-09-2011, 9:03 AM
wooden, maple color business cards.

I have had a lot of success using Baltic Birch ply. I can get a 5' x5' sheet for just under $10.00. A GOOD supplier would be willing to cut them to fit in your machine.

I spray the sheet with sealer then laser them.
Black background with white text will keep the letters raised but will take longer for the job to run but have a much better result in my opinion.

After I run the job, I glue a sheet of sand paper on some flat surface then lightly sand the card. A second spraying with sealer will make a real nice finish.

Larry Bratton
04-09-2011, 11:17 AM
Here you go. http://cardsofwood.com/products/laser-printable-veneer They have several species of veneer that work very well for the laser. They even have printable veneer if you want to go that route. You can also buy pre-made wood cards if you like. I have purchased this product and it is very good.

Scott Hamner
04-10-2011, 7:58 PM
Thanks for the info. I feel like a total newbie about laser engraving

Sorry it took a couple of days to get back but business has picked up with spring and all so we have to make the most of it.

Not sure how to put signature on the post yet so I will answer the question about our laser

Epilog Mini 18 - 40 Watt
Corel Draw X5
PhotoShop 5
ApS-Ethos

Other Equipment in our shop
Baby Lock BMP9
Ricoh GX7000
Roland CAMM-1 GX-400

Richard Rumancik
04-10-2011, 8:45 PM
I bought some of the Lee Valley business cards way back, and although they may be useful for some things I did not end up using them for business cards. They are irregular, not necessarily flat, and being a single ply will crack easily when flexed. I did not find the yield of usable cards to be very high. Probably any single ply veneer will also crack easily.

I think you will have better luck with a plywood or veneer laminated to something to give it some flexibility. I found that the Michael's plywood made nice cards; it engraved dark (probably due to hitting the adhesive layer), and resistant to cracking. I don't have it here but it was 1/32" or less - it may have been metric - I'm not sure. By using a sheet you can cut the outline and engrave in one setup. Also, consider rounding the corners rather than leaving them square.

I doubt that it is maple plywood but the color is quite light.

Not sure how thin you can get baltic birch - 1/8" is way too thick for a card in my opinion.

mark anizan
04-10-2011, 9:10 PM
I make my own most of the time out of Mesquite.I just resaw then run thru my drum sander.I have tried buying from several different places and they are too irregular or warped . Also have made a bunch out of Aromatic Cedar,Baltic Burch is too thick And doesnt usually have a nice grain Too light color.