PDA

View Full Version : Time to heat it up!

Jim Burr
04-08-2011, 9:07 PM
Well I can start tagging my work now! After some PM's with Bernie and some calls to Jim Adkins, this showed up in the mail today. I'm working on a platter/basket that Jim Adkins posted a tutorial for. I paid for 3 pens, but 5 showed up. 2 skews, 2 ball tips; lrg and sm, and a writing tip were included. Found a ball grinder (?) tip for my Dremel so I'm going to take my lack of artistic expression to a much lower level!!
Going to start slow, but this will be fun! Greg Dorrance is a great guy to work with. Always had a suggestion, only after asking what I wanted to do, what kind of wood. He asked more for more info than I did. No affiliation, just a satisfied customer!

Baxter Smith
04-08-2011, 9:14 PM
Congrats on your new tools. I have a woodburner for signing and have thought about trying some very simple stuff. Trying to avoid sliding any deeper for now. Enjoy and I look forward to seeing what you come up with!

Mark Hubl
04-08-2011, 9:21 PM
Fire away. Looks like a nice rig & pens. Should be fun stuff.

John Hart
04-08-2011, 9:22 PM
Wow..that's cool.
It's probably my next tool too.

Steve Schlumpf
04-08-2011, 9:54 PM
Looks like quite the setup! Be sure to let us know what you think of it after using it for a little while! Have fun!

Bernie Weishapl
04-08-2011, 10:00 PM
Now that looks familiar Jim. You are going to love it. My wife had some balsa wood laying around that I practiced on just to get the feel of it. I generally run between 4 and 6 setting. Haven't found a need to go higher. Have fun.

Jim Burr
04-08-2011, 10:23 PM
Thanks again for all the help Bernie...invaluable info that paid off well!

Cathy Schaewe
04-08-2011, 10:28 PM
Nice! I keep being tempted by the woodburners, but there are so many things I want to try already ...
(somehow I suspect I'll justify it at some point ...)

David E Keller
04-08-2011, 10:57 PM
Congrats, Jim! I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with it.

Michael James
04-08-2011, 11:16 PM
Awesome amigo! Molly Winton is coming for next month's assoc. meeting and staying a couple days for some additional training. I know that the burning, texturing and carving is on the horizon but not quite yet for me. Perhaps you and Molly can change my mind. Have fun and post yer stuff.

John Keeton
04-09-2011, 7:53 AM
Jim, that looks like a great setup. Did you determine if the Detailmaster tips will fit those pens? Or, are they fixed tips? I need to post pics of the tips I got on Jim's recommendation to burn the radius of the beads.

Richard Madden
04-09-2011, 12:38 PM
Looks like you're ready to do business. I am also doing one following Mr. Adkins tutorial, and to attempt to duplicate someone's work is to truly realize the work involved, and the patience and skill. Good luck, and keep us posted on the progress.

Jim Adkins
04-09-2011, 5:58 PM
Who is this MR. Adkins business you're referring to Richard?? I don't
know of anybody that goes by that name. Maybe you're referring to Jim??
Now, Jim Burr calls me "that jim".....& I call him "other jim"...It works!!
Good luck with the burner Other Jim.