PDA

View Full Version : Name That Tone

David DeCristoforo
04-08-2011, 7:29 PM
Another example of the complete unpredictability of the process of dying wood! I am attempting to produce a violet sunburst. My first attempt turned out green, prompting me to recall my second grade art lessons in which we were taught that yellow and blue make... NOT purple!!! (smacks self in head!!!) But it was close enough to St Patrick's day that I figured "what the heck". It wasn't all that great a piece anyway. This time I ended up with more black than violet with only the slightest tinge of green. So it's back to the drawing board on the violet sunburst.

This was the second of my "planned" pieces, drawn out full scale in detail and then battered into compliance. I'm not displeased with the form which is something else I'm experimenting with. I was hoping for the violet sunburst for an Easter gift so I may have time to take another run at it before then. But I'm getting some flowers ordered just in case!

Brian Kent
04-08-2011, 7:42 PM
It is the same color as my wife's Jasmine and Lime Tea, so maybe that's the tone. Beautiful accident David.

John Hart
04-08-2011, 8:23 PM
Absolutely stunning sir. I love everything about it. Especially the small bulb to large mouth ratio. Stunning. :)

Mark Hubl
04-08-2011, 8:27 PM
David,

Well the pedestal goes without saying another classic. I like the "horn" form. I think this is more interesting than an ogee. The curve on the bottom bulb is wonderful, heart shaped. I really like the line it forms flowing into the cup on the pedestal. Very nice. The colors are ok. A bit yellow looking for me, but I think dying is a whole nuther skill set. I have seen a tutorial somewhere that actually uses the Easter egg process to color turnings. I will have to try and find it. Makes for some cool results. You may try a little under exposure on your camera, it might yield a bit blacker and sharper pedestal.

Another very well done piece.

John Keeton
04-08-2011, 8:48 PM
Bright!!!! I think it is an interesting experiment, to say the least! As to the form, it is very unique and grabs one's interest. The mass on top seems to balance well on the long pedestal. I look forward to seeing where this new form takes you!

Jim Burr
04-08-2011, 9:12 PM
Outragous coloring..looks metallic to me. If you don't stop belittleing yourself, these posts are gonna get old! No one is that bad all the time David. Has a very 20's Tiffany look to it.

Baxter Smith
04-08-2011, 9:22 PM
Great colors but the shape of the top is what I find most striking! Different from the norm but very pleasing to look at!

Faust M. Ruggiero
04-08-2011, 9:29 PM
Are you kidding me? Even your failed experiments produce beauty anymore. never mind, I meant "ditto".
faust

Dan Forman
04-08-2011, 9:38 PM
David---A very unusual but pleasing form, carried out with the usual aplomb.

A purple sunburst will have it's challenges, as yellow and violet are on opposite sides of the color wheel, thus when mixed the yellow will neutralize the violet, yielding mostly browns to black in the mixture, as you are mixing all three primaries together. If you went to a red instead of yellow for the "sun", it would work fine, going from blue through violet to red, without neutralizing so much.

Dan

Steve Schlumpf
04-08-2011, 9:46 PM
The first word that came to mind was 'formal'! The elaborate stem, precise detail work and fluted goblet all remind me of art deco and should be right at home in a gallery setting! Exceptional work on this David! Maybe not the color you were after but blend works very well!

Looking forward to seeing the violet sunburst version!

Bernie Weishapl
04-08-2011, 10:07 PM
Beautiful piece David. The colors are just stunning.

Cathy Schaewe
04-08-2011, 10:31 PM
WOW!
WOW!
WOW!
WOW!

For some reason, that just appeals to me immensely. The colors aren't so exciting, but something about the reflective surface of the pedestal and the shape of the goblet really are attractive to me. That is "high art" as far as I am concerned ....

Brian Effinger
04-08-2011, 10:49 PM
It may not be violet, but it is beautiful. And I agree with Steve - it looks very formal. Very Greek. Something you'd expect to see with Socrates. Or Zeus.
The dark color is interesting too. Under your perfect finish, it does look metallic. Very cool. :cool:

David E Keller
04-08-2011, 10:53 PM
Very cool! The transition area has a feel of sedimentary rock for me, and that's an interesting contrast to the somewhat formal form and finish. Looking forward to purple... I love purple.

Michael James
04-08-2011, 11:34 PM
David, your "bursts" just keep getting better and better. There is a lot to learn there, and I think Dan has the color answer. So you learned a great way NOT to get to purple and have a beautiful piece there. Looks like a win and a win.

Curt Fuller
04-09-2011, 12:03 AM
Another very unique and interesting piece of work, and very beautiful too!

Norm Zax
04-09-2011, 6:46 AM
Beautiful shape and execution. Superb.

Tim Thiebaut
04-09-2011, 6:52 AM
This is another amazing piece David, I really like the form alot, its unique and I like that. I think the color is fantastic, and love the brightly colored rim. Your pedistal came out great on this as well.

David DeCristoforo
04-09-2011, 11:39 AM
Thanx so much for all the comments. I have some more ideas about how to do the violet sunburst that I want to try out. I have more wood and more dye so off we go...