PDA

View Full Version : An untidy shop: update

Dan Forman
04-08-2011, 6:20 PM
A while ago I vowed to clean up the mess that was my shop. While the result of my efforts no doubt fall far short of the standards set by some of our more fastidious members (who shall remain nameless), I thought to provide some pictorial evidence of my own feeble attempts to mitigate the effects of the second law of thermo dynamics: the natural tendency of a closed system to devolve from order into chaos. So without further fanfare...

Note the vast areas of horizontal surface relatively clear of objects, the lack of chips and curlies covering the floor around the lathe, and the fact that all of the major tools could be put into use without prior excavation.

I'm so impressed with the current state of cleanliness of my shop, that I am determined to maintain it this way, at least until such time that my injured hand allows me to work in it again, which hopefully won't be more than a couple of weeks.

Dan

Mark Hubl
04-08-2011, 6:25 PM
I know you are laid up, but did you have to start another one of these. My shop is now in total disarray and the guilt will be eating away at me all weekend to clean it! Oh well, your shop looks quite clean, you get a "A".

Brian Libby
04-08-2011, 6:32 PM
WOW! By my standards that is spotless.
hopefully the mending is speedy, although it will seem like forever.

Tim Thiebaut
04-08-2011, 6:37 PM
You have a nice setup there Dan, I hope you recover quickly so you can get back to turning as soon as you can.

Dick Wilson
04-08-2011, 7:01 PM
:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: Organization!!!! I can see the floor!!!!! I am too lazy to go back and take another look at your earlier pics to confirm that this is your shop. You didn't cheat by taking pics of a friends shop and passing these off as your shop:confused::confused::confused: Oh my, John is probably rolling around on the floor holding his sides. What is particularly amazing is that you did it one handed:D:D:D Hurry up and get it dirty.

Michael James
04-08-2011, 7:04 PM
Ok that's nice, but can you get the car in there? :D

David DeCristoforo
04-08-2011, 7:15 PM
Alright. That's it. You are officially kicked out of the club. Now you will be stuck with those other "clean shop" guys and, from what I hear, they are way too busy cleaning their shops to go buy beer. Not only that but your shop is full of "flatworker" tools. What's with that???

Dan Forman
04-08-2011, 7:39 PM
Actually, nearly all of the work was done on the day of, preceding the mishap, which makes me think it was punishment meted out for trying to trying to go against the natural order of things.

Flatworking machines provide wonderful horizontal surfaces for holding turning tools, and all manner of other things helpful in turning. I fully expect them to start accumulating evidence of my slovenliness shortly after I can start playing again.

And no, I generally don't bring the truck down into the basement.

Dan

John Hart
04-08-2011, 8:17 PM
You're giving me an itch, Dan. I'm also expecting visitors in the next couple weeks. Maybe I'll try to find a horizontal surface m'self!! :)

Donny Lawson
04-08-2011, 8:30 PM
Well, I started on mine eariler today. Didn't get far though, I had a friend come over and wanted to look at some old bicycles and then started talking. The next thing I know 30 min went by. After he left I was almost out of the mood but I got started again and someone else pulls up. He stayed for 2 hrs just talknig about nothing. He finally leaves and now its way past supper time so it looks like it will not get done today. I have to get it done because I'm going to pick up my new lathe tomorrow. It will probally be a late night.

Baxter Smith
04-08-2011, 9:45 PM
Definitely looks better Dan! Sometimes I almost enjoy the mindless job of taking a day to pick/clean up. Usually gets me in the mood for doing something for the next 3 or 4 that turns it into a mess again.

Steve Schlumpf
04-08-2011, 9:50 PM
Wow - clean shop! Look at all the room you have to store blanks now!

Bernie Weishapl
04-08-2011, 10:05 PM
Wow Dan. Haven't seen my shop that clean welllllllllll since I put the lathe in there:D;):rolleyes:.

Fred Belknap
04-08-2011, 10:14 PM
Dan is that a guard on the jointer:eek:

Cathy Schaewe
04-08-2011, 10:26 PM
So in other words, you're going to let it stay clean until you're physically able to get it dirty again! Does that really count as clean????

Dan Forman
04-09-2011, 12:06 AM
So in other words, you're going to let it stay clean until you're physically able to get it dirty again! Does that really count as clean????

That is my pledge. All is impermanent, nothing stays the same... :D

Vince Welch
04-09-2011, 12:22 AM

I like that!!! I do like a sense of organization and my shop being clean. I seem to turn better work. It is probobly just me imagining things again...

Vince

John Keeton
04-09-2011, 7:50 AM
Dan, I can't tell you how proud I am of your successful conversion to the "clean side!":rolleyes: I trust in my heart that you will be a faithful member - always returning all tools to their proper home, sweeping the floor, removing all debris, and generally abiding by the Scout law of "Always leave the campground cleaner than you found it.":rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::D

Ha!! Ha!! Ha!! Ha!!

John Hart
04-09-2011, 10:03 AM
That Keeton guy is out of control.

But then....today, I'm learning my lesson. I thought I was having visitors in a couple of weeks (An art gallery wants some of my pieces and they want a tour) Well...they just sent me an email.....They're coming tomorrow.:eek:

Sheesh...If I was John Keeton, I'd have nothing to worry about. But I ain't John Keeton, and I need a bulldozer and a leaf blower....like RIGHT NOW.

John Keeton
04-09-2011, 11:27 AM
John Hart - what a stealth gloat!!! Good luck on the cleanup - and, on the gallery submissions! Don't get the shop too clean - they will think someone else did the work.

Dan Forman
04-09-2011, 6:16 PM
John K---I appreciate your faith in the permanence of my conversion, however misguided it may be. :) Actually, when things get to the point they were in the previous series of photos, it does get rather difficult to accomplish anything. Something in between the current and previous state is what it ordinarily will look like, hopefully leaning more toward the former than the latter. Thing is, I just don't think I could handle all of the flack from the rest of them if I were associated too strongly with the clean side. :D

John H---Congrat's, though you may too busy cleaning to read this.

Dan

John Hart
04-09-2011, 6:36 PM
Thanks Dan....Yes...too busy cleaning. I'm beat. 10 hours of cleaning. No eating...had a Dr. Pepper. I'll start another thread.