PDA

View Full Version : Tough Exterior Clear..

Dave Winters
04-08-2011, 5:16 PM
I need a tough (Scratch Resistant) clear finish for skateboard decks that I am building. I don't think UV is as big a problem as scratch resistance.
Any recommendations?
Thanks!
Dave

Henry Ambrose
04-08-2011, 8:13 PM
Automotive clearcoat?
Epoxy resin?

John TenEyck
04-08-2011, 8:20 PM
Have you checked any skateboard manufacturers' websites to see if they say what type of finish they use? Sometimes companies give you a lot of info. unintentionally.

Dave Gaul
04-08-2011, 9:37 PM
"How it's Made" on Discovery showed how they make & finish skateboards... maybe check youtube or Disovery's website...

Steve Schoene
04-09-2011, 12:02 AM
You might look at Interlux Perfection. It's a two part (2-k) polyurethane that is seriously tough, and as an added bonus does OK with UV as well,not like single part polyurethane. It is formulated to be applied both by hand and by spray and has sufficient technical data to take a bit of the guesswork out of the learning curve. They also have the same basic material in pigmented form.

Steven Hsieh
04-09-2011, 2:03 PM
You might look at Interlux Perfection. It's a two part (2-k) polyurethane that is seriously tough, and as an added bonus does OK with UV as well,not like single part polyurethane. It is formulated to be applied both by hand and by spray and has sufficient technical data to take a bit of the guesswork out of the learning curve. They also have the same basic material in pigmented form.

I thought the OP wanted a clear finish?

Steve Schoene
04-09-2011, 7:12 PM
The Interlux is a clear finish, though a bit amber, as with most varnishes. It can be used as a glaze topcoat over pigmented undercoats of Perfection finish, as well as directly on wood. The current name is Perfection Plus.

Dave Winters
04-09-2011, 10:12 PM
Thanks, all for the replies-
The Interlux would be perfect, except for the price: $75.00 qt (on sale!)

Steven Hsieh
04-10-2011, 1:54 AM
The Interlux is a clear finish, though a bit amber, as with most varnishes. It can be used as a glaze topcoat over pigmented undercoats of Perfection finish, as well as directly on wood. The current name is Perfection Plus.

Sorry I was looking Interlux Perfection paint :rolleyes:

Tony Bilello
04-10-2011, 7:59 AM
I buy my chemicals from Wood Finishers Depot because they deliver. I am almost positive that this is made by Gemini because almost all of WFD's finishing products are. This is really good stuff. I used it on table tops before and also holds up very good on my boat's exterior woodwork. If you are not going to mix the whole gallon at one time, measure very carefully or performance will suffer.

http://woodfinishersdepot.com/finishes-4/aliphatic-urethane-35/exterior-aliphatic-urethane-gallon-629.html