PDA

View Full Version : Stanley vintage chisels with plastic handles

James Pickering
04-08-2011, 4:57 PM
Having obtained permission from Stanley to use extracts from various old catalogs, I have now updated this page (http://jp29.org/wwstanplastichandles.htm) to include several supporting illustrations.

James

Bill Rittner
04-08-2011, 5:02 PM
Nic work James. These are good chisels. I inherited a couple from my father, who was a pattern maker for Stanley Tools for 20 years, and like them. the plastic handles are not my favorite so I rehandled a couple in cocobolo. I will mention this site on the "oldtools" list.

James Pickering
04-08-2011, 6:07 PM
Nic work James. These are good chisels. I inherited a couple from my father, who was a pattern maker for Stanley Tools for 20 years, and like them. the plastic handles are not my favorite so I rehandled a couple in cocobolo. I will mention this site on the "oldtools" list.
Thank you, Bill.

James

Richard Dooling
04-08-2011, 7:29 PM
Hey thanks - nice resource.

James Pickering
04-08-2011, 10:01 PM
Thank you, Richard.

James

James Pickering
04-08-2011, 11:45 PM
Just as a point of interest, Stanley No. 60 butt chisels were more expensive than No. 720 firmer chisels (1950 Catalog -- images added to page).

James

Harlan Barnhart
04-09-2011, 7:55 AM
Just as a point of interest, Stanley No. 60 butt chisels were more expensive than No. 720 firmer chisels (1950 Catalog -- images added to page).

James

I guess plastic was a relatively new technology, not the symbol of cheap like today. It was the part of a promising future where man could live better and solve all his problems with technology.

James Pickering
04-09-2011, 12:23 PM
I guess plastic was a relatively new technology, not the symbol of cheap like today. It was the part of a promising future where man could live better and solve all his problems with technology.An interesting observation, Harlan.

James