PDA

View Full Version : Little Box

Mark Hubl
04-08-2011, 12:56 PM
This is a prototype for a couple of pieces that I have kicking around in the empty space above my shoulders. Twists, spirals, helixes, etc intrigue me and seem to be some classic stuff made using a lathe. I really like the work that Richard Madden does with these and want to play with the form.

Before trying something on a larger scale I figured I better see if I can do it on a smaller piece. I decided to do a little practice box. So here it is. Couple things could have been finished up, but it really was just for practice.

Richard Raffan uses black forms in his book on boxes to highlight the form so I dyed the piece with some rit dye. Unfortunately, I put some WOP on that wouldn't dry. Once I stripped that off with some MS the dye job was shot. Just put some AO on it to seal the dye.

I put some copper leaf on the inside, probably won't do that again. Pretty hard to work with in such a small space.

The form does present a problem where the top and bottom mate. The line is more noticeable in a photo then just sitting on a table. If I do some more like this, I may put a contrasting piece of something in their to make the break more of a design element. Sorry for the dusties, they are actually leaf that just won't cooperate. C&C and suggestions welcome.

Robert McGowen
04-08-2011, 1:13 PM
Very cool concept. The "real" piece ought to be something to see!

Maria Alvarado
04-08-2011, 1:28 PM
Mark that is a really cool piece! Hard to see clearly, did you copper leaf inside the lid and the box? There is a color difference, I like the red contrast. As you work this into larger pieces, it might be neat to try hollowing the spiral helix but leave the box suspended inside. I'm not sure if that's clear. Anyway, looking forward to the series!

John Keeton
04-08-2011, 1:39 PM
Mark, you did a wonderful job on the carving for this piece!!! Really well done! And, the design concept is fantastic! Great work, and I bet the future pieces will be even better.

Mark Hubl
04-08-2011, 1:41 PM
Mark that is a really cool piece! Hard to see clearly, did you copper leaf inside the lid and the box? There is a color difference, I like the red contrast. As you work this into larger pieces, it might be neat to try hollowing the spiral helix but leave the box suspended inside. I'm not sure if that's clear. Anyway, looking forward to the series!

The inside and the top have copper leaf. The difference in color is just from the lighting. Wow, nice concept. I will have to give that one some thought.

bob svoboda
04-08-2011, 1:50 PM
Really nice work, Mark.

Brian Effinger
04-08-2011, 2:31 PM
That's an awesome box, Mark! :) Spirals are a part of nature, which I think makes this such appealing turning.
Well done. I am looking forward to seeing where you take this.

David DeCristoforo
04-08-2011, 2:40 PM
Wow, that's really nice. Is that a little hex shape on the top? I love the "surprise" of the copper inside.

Dan Forman
04-08-2011, 3:06 PM
Thinking outside the box! Interesting concept and a pleasing form.

Dan

Jim Burr
04-08-2011, 3:07 PM
That is a great work Mark...the effort in this piece is substantial. Sorry about the inards, but it looks cool from here!

James Combs
04-08-2011, 3:18 PM
Can't say much more then repeat the "WOW" of others. Really be interesting to see future ones.

Keith E Byrd
04-08-2011, 3:39 PM
I can say wow also! That is really awesome. What tools do you use? I am not experienced even to even think about trying something like this but curious as to how what tools and how you would go about it.

John Hart
04-08-2011, 4:15 PM
I'm in for another Wow. What a great concept you've adopted. I don't think I'll ever get bored seeing more of these.

Mark Hubl
04-08-2011, 4:16 PM
Is that a little hex shape on the top? I love the "surprise" of the copper inside.

Yes it is a hex. It was circular like the bottom, but when I started finishing up the top I thought that some straight lines may add some interest. Now that I look at it making the bottom the same would make it look like a bolt going through it. What do you think of the hex? Yeah or neah? I like leaf inside also, but on this little shape it is a pain. Especially since my leafing skills are less than zero.

What tools do you use?

Layout a grid and draw your twists. I have not done a lot of study on this, but since I divided the piece for six bines, I divided for six step as well. If you add more your bines will twist around the piece more. Some cut into the piece with a saw, on this piece I drilled some small pilot holes to set the depth. I learned that this is an important step. You can get carried away making the flutes. Then you remove wood to make the flutes. This can be done all different ways. Those that are good with hand chisels can do this with just a couple. I used the reciprocating carver to remove some bulk and get close to depth. Then a rotary tool with a fluted burr to refine the shape. Then rotary tool with a cone drum sander to refine more. In the smaller area of the flutes I use smaller rifler files and different shaped diamond burrs. Starting at 150 and working through to 400. Then, and this is really the fun part, sanding, sanding, sanding. I have some of those rubber sanding pads with different contours, this really helps. I think the better one gets at making the flutes the less sanding one has to do. If you google spiral finial or flame finial you will find a bunch of info and you tubes. Check out Charles Neals.

David DeCristoforo
04-08-2011, 4:24 PM
"What do you think of the hex? Yeah or neah?"

Mark, I totally like the hex. I think it adds a very interesting dimension to this. One could imagine that the hex was where you put the wrench to twist the form into a spiral. The copper leaf might be a PITA but again, it adds greatly to the overall interest.

Baxter Smith
04-08-2011, 7:03 PM
Great job Mark! Very neat. I have no imagination or the skills for doing things like this but appreciate those who do!