PDA

View Full Version : Easytool carbide cutters

Ray Bell
04-08-2011, 11:41 AM
Does anybody that uses these tools know where to buy the cutters that would fit the Ci1 rougher? Fourteen dollars per cutter seems high.

Thanks, Ray

John Keeton
04-08-2011, 11:44 AM
Ray, as I recall from past threads, the "grind/profile" that Craig has on this cutter is unique to that cutter. There are other sources for carbide cutters, but most are manufactured for other uses. There have been a lot of folks that have made tools using the other cutters and seem to do OK with them. I had one that I purchased from another individual and did not care for it. On the other hand, I have not used the Ci tools, either, so I can't make a fair comparison.

Gary Max
04-08-2011, 12:06 PM
If you hunt around on the ebay you can get them for something like $2.50 per.

John Keeton
04-08-2011, 1:12 PM
There are several sources in this prior thread (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?134652-Carbide-inserts-for-homemade-easy-rougher).

Mark Hubl
04-08-2011, 1:46 PM
I got some cutters from "carbide depot". They had some wood specific cutters. You can probably come close to the dimensions of the cutters you are looking for. I had to buy in quantity of 5, but that was way cheaper than one and with shipping makes more sense. Good luck.

Dale Winburn
04-08-2011, 4:50 PM
I use http://www.grizzly.com/products/Shelix-Indexable-Carbide-Inserts-10-Pk-/H7354 cutters, 10 for 31.75. These have a slight radius, works well for roughing. H2880 have a straight edge and cost 4.25 each.

These work perfect on my Ci1 rougher.

Dale

Jerry Marcantel
04-08-2011, 5:49 PM
Carbidedepot.com. When it comes up, look on the right side of the page for "techical resources". Ckick on that, and when the page comes up, scroll to the very bottom to "wood turning". click on that, and it will give you 3 sizes of cutter. *mm, 10mm, and 12mm.......... Price for the 10mm is 7.22 each, and they come in boxes of 5. Price will be over 35 dollars for 5......... Jerry (in Tucson)

Ern Reeders
04-09-2011, 2:35 AM
My experience with the Easy Finisher is that the cutter bevel may well have been polished. The finish it leaves is exceptional. On a par with a carefully honed scraper edge.

Sorry this is a bit off topic but for that tool I'll cough up what Craig asks.