PDA

View Full Version : Shop made McNaughton Coring Tool

Raymond Sprouse
04-08-2011, 6:54 AM
I have been considering making a bowl coring system similar to the McNaughton tool. I have read several posts that talk about making a similar system, but not a lot of detail. I would be interested in any thoughts or ideas on this subject if anyone would like to share. Thanks

Reed Gray
04-08-2011, 12:37 PM
The closest you could come to a coring system that is home made would be forged tools. If you look up Robin Cook (I think that is his name), he is a traditional spring pole lathe turner in Great Brittan. His coring tools are hook type tools. Other than that, you will need to heat and bend, and put a handle on it, and you have to have a gate with vertical support fingers to keep the blade from twisting out of your hands. Not an easy project.

robo hippy

Maria Alvarado
04-08-2011, 1:38 PM
The closest you could come to a coring system that is home made would be forged tools. If you look up Robin Cook (I think that is his name), he is a traditional spring pole lathe turner in Great Brittan. His coring tools are hook type tools. Other than that, you will need to heat and bend, and put a handle on it, and you have to have a gate with vertical support fingers to keep the blade from twisting out of your hands. Not an easy project.

robo hippy

Robin Wood, I think you mean. His coring set-up with hand forged tools can be seen here http://www.robin-wood.co.uk/makingbowls2.htm

Reed Gray
04-08-2011, 8:07 PM
Some days, remembering my own name is a trick question.

robo hippy

Bill Blasic
04-09-2011, 9:10 AM
I hear you Reed
er em oh yeah Bill

Raymond Sprouse
04-18-2011, 6:29 AM
Thanks for your replys. I came across a video on youtube that might be of interest. It's noting like the Mcnaughton tool, but it is very nice. Take a look at it and let me know what you think:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5u2Yst1qXpc

It looks fairly easy to make if you can bend metal. It looks like both the cutting blade and the support underneath are the same ark. I think that they are simply 1/4's of a circle.

Dan Hintz
04-18-2011, 6:59 AM
That looks very similar to the OneWay coring system method... the disadvantage to it (compared to McNaughton) is the cores will be hemispheres. With McNaughton, the cores can have different shapes depending upon what knife shape you choose.

Jeff Nicol
04-18-2011, 8:28 AM
I started to make a couple of curved cutters but got impatient and just bought a McNaughton system. I believe I could have gotten it done just ran out of time, maybe I will see about finishing one of them to see how it will turn out. I just got some HSS cutters that may work great for the tool so I will see what happens and let you know.

Jeff

Dick Wilson
04-18-2011, 11:51 AM
Thanks for your replys. I came across a video on youtube that might be of interest. It's noting like the Mcnaughton tool, but it is very nice. Take a look at it and let me know what you think:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5u2Yst1qXpc

It looks fairly easy to make if you can bend metal. It looks like both the cutting blade and the support underneath are the same ark. I think that they are simply 1/4's of a circle.

Raymond, Thanks for posting this video link. That system looks pretty darn slick, certainly something that a machinist would be able to make. And seeing as how I have a very good friend who was a machinist, well...................

Reed Gray
04-18-2011, 11:57 AM
Actually, the coring system in the You Tube video isn't made from bent metal. You get sections of a tube and cut them so the arcs match perfectly. You need to get a cutting tip that is slightly wider in the front than the back (from maybe 3/8 inch tapering to 1/4 inch). It is a pretty slick set up. It does center mount, and you are restricted to certain radius cuts.

robo hippy

John Hart
04-18-2011, 1:27 PM
Wow...this seems like a lot of work.

I think I'll wait for the Curved-light Laser Cutter System to be invented. :)

Scott Lux
04-18-2011, 1:47 PM
I think I'll wait for the Curved-light Laser Cutter System to be invented.

I need to get to work on that. I'll make a fortune!!!

Richard Coers
04-18-2011, 2:11 PM
You might want to go talk to a leaf spring shop. We have a place here in Peoria, that will recurve or bend any leaf spring to your spec. Might be able to have some spring steel that would be the correct size and they bend it for you. For that Youtube video, if I had a smashed thumb, I might just wait till the wrap came off before I did a video. Just saying!

Raymond Sprouse
04-18-2011, 4:04 PM
It is simular to the Oneway system except the tool rest is welded on. I have used the Mcnaughton and like the ability to change the core shape. However, I like the speed and appearent ease of use of this tool. I just found another discussion on this same video Here: http://http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?97595-used-bowl-coring-tool

Same video and everything. Here is a picture someone else posted:

I think it looks about like 1/8" steel. Should be easy to bend into shape.

Reed, I think the pipe would work great if you could find a bunch of different sizes.

Reed Gray
04-18-2011, 9:29 PM
I am pretty sure that the Oneway and Woodcut are both made from tube stock. The McNaughton is stamped. This is one reason why the blades tend to drift in the cut. If the blades aren't perfect arcs of a circle, the cut will not follow a perfect radius.

robo hippy