PDA

View Full Version : Hayes pays a visit.

Dan Forman
04-08-2011, 3:04 AM
Hayes Rutherford has been sitting in on a few of our local club meetings, and as of tonight is our newest member. As he lives about two hours away, I invited him to make a day of it and come over for the afternoon. Turns out he's a much earlier riser than me, so he had a chance to some some shopping before I was up and about - I'm sure he will report on his new toy, so I won't say any more about that.

I'm still recovering from my hand injury last week, and haven't felt like doing much in the shop, but did manage to finish cleaning it up. Hayes wanted to try out the Monster articulated system, so after a bit of chatting and lunch, we descended to the basement to fire up the lathe. Hayes picked out a chunk of elm and went to work on an end grain hollow form. As it turns out, time ran out before it was finished, and we had to head to the meeting, but he got a good feel of how the system works.

Unfortunately, I forgot to take any pics to document the occasion, seems once we get to yakking all else is forgotten - didn't even have a chance for a proper guitar show and tell, though he did spy my tweed Victoria amp hiding under a table. Guess that will have to wait for the next meeting.

I hope he enjoyed the day as much as I did - next time I should have my hand back in full use, and will be better able to play the proper host.

Dan

John Keeton
04-08-2011, 7:20 AM
Dan, even without the obligatory pics, I believe you!;) Sounds like a great time!! I imagine with Haye's talent, using the Monster came easily to him, but don't you have some guilt for tempting him with such devices??

I look forward to seeing his thread on the shopping spree.

Steve Schlumpf
04-08-2011, 8:42 AM
Sounds like you guys had fun! I can just imagine the expression on Hayes face when he first started using Randy's articulated system - bet he loved it!

Looking forward to reading Hayes' side of the story!

Hayes Rutherford
04-08-2011, 9:48 AM
It was a great time to visit Dan with his hand bandaged up, it kept him from hogging the lathe!! I had it all to myself!!! When he came to my shop about 30 seconds was all he got then it was "my turn" again. All kidding aside, it is obvious Dan researches then buys really good stuff. I wish I had never seen and tried some of it because now some serious envy exists.

John, I don't think my shopping spree will need a separate thread. Harbor Freight had some coupons for an air powered angle die grinder, high speed auto body saw, 2" chip brushes, electrical tape, air brush, and a couple of other items that all fit in two bags. The only other item, which did take up the whole bed of a small pick up will require the necessary pics and its own thread but was given to me so that will be in the near future.

I was impressed with the Monster Articulated system. Everything I've seen or read about it admires the quality and it's all true. The test piece was elm that required about 7" depth of hollowing, and I pre bored a 1" hole. The standard bar couldn't get all of high shoulder but putting in a cranked Kelton bar did. The included scraper wouldn't quite work in the 1" opening so I just took some light cuts with the Kelton bar and called it good. We didn't have time to finish the base and I urged Dan to just cut it in half with the band saw when his fingers are up to it.

The only things that frustrated me were adjusting the laser, and adjusting the height of the whole rig. The whole arm moves so smoothly that getting the laser on target was a little bit of trial and error for me. I can't say I was doing it the best way and am comparing it to my own Don Derry type system that I am used to. Once adjusted, the laser dot was solid. Adjusting the height of the unit was a little tricky for me. When I thought it was right, final tightening would draw it off slightly. This is also something that being familiar with the unit would shed a different light on. Sometime I would like to explore the limits of depth on this unit.

Anyway, this is longer than my high school term paper so off to work(play).