PDA

View Full Version : which lower plastic bags for dust collectors

Kevin Gregoire
04-08-2011, 12:06 AM
i have a jet dust collector with the 20" tube and im curious if there is much of a difference in the brands of lower plastic bags?

i have seen a few different ones online and two were 7mil thick and they were a little over $25 and i seen the Jet bags were under $25 but no idea how thick? and a company called Big Horn has 5 pack of bags for $10 and again dont know thickness?

what is everyone using and how do you like them? best pricing and where?

thanks

mickey cassiba
04-08-2011, 1:19 AM
At my last job we went through the same thing...We decommissioned an old extraction system and replaced it with a couple of dust collectors. Grizzly and Delta bags were really spendy though. My Fastenal rep finally found a supplier that would sell for around $3 per bag, but we had to buy in 50 bag lots. They were 6 mil, so not really reusable, but they did work out okay.

Kevin Gregoire
04-08-2011, 1:43 AM
i wonder how thin of a bag would still work good? i wish i knew how thick the Big Horn bags are cause that is a fantastic price!

Larry Edgerton
04-08-2011, 5:49 AM
I use 55 gal, 6 mill contractor cleanup bags, not sure what they cost, but a lot less than what you are paying for the official bags. I buy them by the 100 through my local lumber supplier. They are bigger at the top but I fold them back and it works just fine and gives me extra capasity.

dennis thompson
04-08-2011, 6:52 AM
I use the Husky 42 gallon contractor bags from Home Depot $16 for 32, fill them & throw them away. They're only 3 mil but I've never had one break.
Dennis

Larry Edgerton
04-08-2011, 7:15 AM
I use the Husky 42 gallon contractor bags from Home Depot $16 for 32, fill them & throw them away. They're only 3 mil but I've never had one break.
Dennis

The 3 mil will work for lighter woods, but on heavier species they will not work. If I fill one with white oak chips for example and I can't pick them up.

Richard Dooling
04-08-2011, 10:01 AM
I just use clear lawn waste bags. I don't let them get too heavy but they still hold lots more than the bags designed for the DC. WAY cheaper also.

Neil Bosdet
04-08-2011, 10:08 AM
Same here. I buy the clear lawn cleanup bags from Costco. I've been doing this for 10 years, no problem. I've filled 12 bags in the past 2 days. I go through way too many to do anything else and why would I? They work perfectly fine. Only tear if I snag on a bolt or something when removing them.

Gary Venable
04-08-2011, 10:11 AM
I just reuse the clear bags that came with my delta. I like to see when they are almost full and when they are I just dump them into a contractor clean up bag and put them back on. Been using the same clear bag for a few years without any problem.

-Gary

Neil Bosdet
04-08-2011, 10:15 AM
But you have to dump one bag to the other. Messy and dusty. Why not do it in one step with disposable clear bags?

Jeff Monson
04-08-2011, 10:24 AM
I use the contractors bags from Menards on my PM collector, they work great.

Andrew Gibson
04-08-2011, 10:27 AM
Dennis

Same here. Just picked up a HF dust collector on CL and got a box of these bags. Yesterday I replaced the bag for the first time. I snagged it with a cutoff while it was running and it cut a little slit in the bag. when I took the bag off and carried it out back to dump in the brush pile it probably weighed 35 pounds. The bag held up fine even with the little cut.

The only drawback is the opening is bigger then the drum so it can be a bit of a pain to get it on and get the clamp on.

Myk Rian
04-08-2011, 12:16 PM
Here are some more.
http://www.americanfabricfilter.com/polybags.php

dennis thompson
04-08-2011, 3:41 PM
Andrew
I had the same problem with the top being bigger than the drum, I just tape the bag in place with duct tape & then put the band on, much easier. Also if I'm using oak or another heavier wood, I'll just let the bag get half full, at $.50 each they're cheap enough.
Dennis

Chris Tsutsui
04-08-2011, 7:00 PM
Uline.com sells black or clear 6 mil 55 gallon bags and they end up being like $2.60 each after you buy a 15 pack. If you're local to a warehouse then you can pick it up and no shipping.

http://www.uline.com/Product/Detail/S-15584/Trash-Liners/36-x-58-55-Gallon-6-Mil-Black-Contractors-Bag

Anyways I think I am the most ghetto of everyone here and that I re-use the original bag for my HF 2HP DC and mine is covered with a bunch of duct tape "bandaids" all over it. Well at least I'm using the good duct tape which is the gorilla tape...

The trick is after you install the old bag, turn on the DC and let it run. Then feel your hands around the bag and if you feel air, then add some tape. :)

Larry Edgerton
04-08-2011, 7:49 PM
Andrew
I had the same problem with the top being bigger than the drum, I just tape the bag in place with duct tape & then put the band on, much easier. Also if I'm using oak or another heavier wood, I'll just let the bag get half full, at $.50 each they're cheap enough.
Dennis

I tried that but I always get involved and before you know it, its full. I have a planer that will make some serious chips in a hurry, coupled with a bad memory........

Bruce Wrenn
04-08-2011, 9:23 PM
Google Phil Thien, and build a separator. I did that because my cyclone is in the rear corner of the shop, and I mostly use my 15" planer and jointer on the apron out front. I got tired of lugging 30 gallon cans of chips from back of shop to the apron out front.

Ruhi Arslan
04-08-2011, 10:53 PM
I've been using contractor bag with the JET. Only time I had it get filled when I failed to check the first stage. Since then I am trying clear Costco bags. Placed two together. It inflates a bit when I turn it on but I can see what's inside. Probably a couple of cents each.