PDA

View Full Version : Cherry Burl: 24-1

Baxter Smith
04-07-2011, 10:33 PM
After roughing out most of the straight grain cherry and some of the holly I picked up last weekend, I felt the need for a change. Picked out this burl and laid a template on it to see where to cut the ends.
Split it through the pith
Then rounded off the corners.
Carried it inside thinking I was going to mount it between centers so I could adjust as needed. After setting it on an old scale I keep in the shop and seeing 98#, I decided to screw on a faceplate. Mounted it on the lathe thinking I would round the back a bit first to get rid of some weight and perhaps balance things out.

With no room for the banjo between the blank and the headstock, I used an offset I had from my old lathe to reach. Worked well until I had a catch, then it was a dumb idea. (thought I had a picture somewhere but its still broken)Could have done it outboard but hadn’t used real long screws so wanted the tailstock to help out.

Turned a recess in the top, so I could flip it and turn the bottom,

Baxter Smith
04-07-2011, 10:45 PM
Had to core in about an inch before I could position the support arm properly.

Was using the largest knife on the corer so that I could reach the bottom, but had a lot of trouble with the support arm binding in the burl. It seemed like the knife was flexing and forming a path different from the support arm. Repositioned the cutter to enlarge the cut but eventually had a catch and broke out the recess.

Had to remount grabbing the top again and return the bottom. Eventually…
Since the oneway corer didn’t match the outside shape, I did some more cutting inside and out to end up with an even thickness of just over1 5/8 with a foot on the bottom.

Soaked the bark inclusions with CA glue then anchorsealed it. I will stick it in a bag or cardboard box with shavings tomorrow and forget about it for a year or two.
The pictures are only cellphone, but perhaps they will help someone. If anyone has thoughts or suggestions I am all ears!(help me):)

Fred Belknap
04-07-2011, 10:59 PM
Sounds like you had an interesting day. That is a hunk of burl. To bad you have to wait a year to finish it.

Ken Hill
04-07-2011, 11:06 PM
94#...my back hurts just thinking about it! I thought I was doing good with 14 rough-outs today LOL! Go Baxter!

Jon McElwain
04-07-2011, 11:13 PM
That is a nice looking burl! Are you going to core the rest of the set? Will they be NE bowls? I guess we'll have to wait a while to see the finish product.

Mark Hubl
04-07-2011, 11:48 PM
Wow, Baxter you have been busy. That thing is big. Thanks for sharing the coring pics. Now we will have to wait!

Jim Burr
04-08-2011, 12:18 AM
I have only moral support to offer Baxter...and that you take on a lot of stuff that others would shrink from. Do you have an outlet for your bowls? Given the quality of the quanity you make, they must sell like hotcakes!!

John Keeton
04-08-2011, 7:27 AM
Baxter, you can just ship me that ol' useless chunk from the middle!!!!:D I mean, it's just in the way - may as well help you out!

Impressive work, and sorry about the banjo extension. Seems I had read some prior threads about the dangers of using one of those when I first started turning.

Fred Perreault
04-08-2011, 7:28 AM
Baxter.... with turning projects like that, you could cancel your gym membership! :)

philip labre
04-08-2011, 7:40 AM
Baxter, that's going to be a beauty. Now the hard part...waiting!!!

David E Keller
04-08-2011, 8:13 AM
Beautiful stuff, Baxter. I hope the cherry behaves for you while drying.

Steve Schlumpf
04-08-2011, 8:39 AM
Thanks for the sequence of events photos - was interesting! Very pretty wood and will keep my fingers crossed that it drys well! Looking forward to seeing it when completed!

Baxter Smith
04-08-2011, 9:09 AM
.. I was doing good with 14 rough-outs today...
Now that is impressive!

That is a nice looking burl! Are you going to core the rest of the set? Will they be NE bowls? I guess we'll have to wait a while to see the finish product.
The big one will be a NE if I am lucky. Firewood or a few bottlestoppers if I'm not.:D I don't know what the rest will become.

I have only moral support to offer Baxter...and that you take on a lot of stuff that others would shrink from. Do you have an outlet for your bowls? Given the quality of the quanity you make, they must sell like hotcakes!!
Thanks for the moral support Jim!:) I just do this for fun.:rolleyes: Considering the number of roughouts I have drying:o I should make the effort to look for a way to get rid of them. Some come in the house, some given away as gifts, some go into cardboard boxes, and the last three I posted are still sitting on the tablesaw getting covered with chips and dust.:o

Baxter, you can just ship me that ol' useless chunk from the middle!!!!:D I mean, it's just in the way - may as well help you out.............
Thanks John, but the "ol' useless chunk from the middle" is wet! And I know your feelings on that kind of stuff!;)

Baxter, that's going to be a beauty. Now the hard part...waiting!!!
Thanks Philip. When I first started this madness a little over a year ago, I had more green wood that needed to get turned before it went bad so waiting wasn't a big deal. A lot of my roughouts are now dry and ready to return, if I can just get this green stuff finished...:rolleyes:

Thanks for commenting. Hope you enjoyed the pics and perhaps even learned a little bit... about what not to do.

Art Manansala
04-08-2011, 9:50 AM
I love the beginning to "middle" threads :) Definitely a candidate for thread of the month!

Can't wait to see the finished piece.

Art

Donny Lawson
04-08-2011, 10:30 AM
Looks like you had it a little rough to start with but it will all be worth it in the end. Great looking piece.

Bob Bergstrom
04-08-2011, 10:53 AM
I don't think you can use super glue to fix the extension.:(:rolleyes:

Baxter Smith
04-08-2011, 7:10 PM
I love the beginning to "middle" threads :) Definitely a candidate for thread of the month!

Can't wait to see the finished piece.

Art
Thanks Art. They were of great assistance to me when I got started as I had no clue about how a lot of things were done. The pictures helped so maybe someone else can benefit now.

Looks like you had it a little rough to start with but it will all be worth it in the end. Great looking piece.
Thanks Donny. I checked the curve on the support and the cutting arm today. They didn't match. Might have something to do with me using the cutting arm for a form for heating and bending a piece of steel to make a curved tool rest. Never said I wa too bright!:)

I don't think you can use super glue to fix the extension.:(:rolleyes:
You are probably right Bob. I have heard it is brittle. I do have some JB weld and duct tape though.;)

Brian Effinger
04-08-2011, 8:03 PM
Looking good, so far. :)

You are probably right Bob. I have heard it is brittle. I do have some JB weld and duct tape though.;)
Duct tape holds the world together. ;)
Find a way to use a little WD40 in the repair, and you'll be all set! :D

John Hart
04-08-2011, 8:30 PM
You could ship it to someone...then they could ship it to someone....and on and on. Probably take a couple years, and we could all touch it.....lovingly. :)

Baxter Smith
04-08-2011, 9:37 PM
Great idea John! I have read about the healing power of touch. Pm me your address and I will have that extension in the mail first thing Monday!:)

Cathy Schaewe
04-08-2011, 10:42 PM
Thanks John, but the "ol' useless chunk from the middle" is wet! And I know your feelings on that kind of stuff!;)

Ha! Unlike John, I LIKE green wood!
Seriously, though, that sounds like kind of a rough day. I hope it dries well. Cherry is so iffy. Good luck!

Brian Libby
04-09-2011, 7:52 AM
That sure was a ruff time roughing!!!
Seeing that you had a piece that was only 98 pounds, you will have to shoot for 100+ to beat your record !!!!!!!

Roland Martin
04-09-2011, 8:13 AM
Must be why they call it roughing:). Best of luck with the drying that awesome looking burl. Thanks for the informative narration.

Baxter Smith
04-09-2011, 11:36 PM
Ha! Unlike John, I LIKE green wood!
Seriously, though, that sounds like kind of a rough day. I hope it dries well. Cherry is so iffy. Good luck!
Thanks Cathy. It wasn't as much of a rough day as it was a learning day!:)

That sure was a ruff time roughing!!!
Seeing that you had a piece that was only 98 pounds, you will have to shoot for 100+ to beat your record !!!!!!!
Funny Brian. 98 may stand for a while!

Must be why they call it roughing:). Best of luck with the drying that awesome looking burl. Thanks for the informative narration.
Thanks Roland, maybe the next one can be smoother if I can be smarter!;):rolleyes: