PDA

View Full Version : Hammer C3-31 questions

joe lasky
04-07-2011, 9:40 PM
I have just received a used 2002 C3-31. The machine is in excellent condition. After cleaning, lubricating, etc., it looks ready to go. However, there are a few items that need clarification. The motors on this unit are 3 hp. not the 4 hp of today's units. I need to run new wiring but haven't been able to determine the amps. for the circuit breaker. I have an aluminum extension table (approximately 6" x 15 1/2"), the #500-101, with the clamp handle and fittings on the bottom. There was no mounting rail to attach it to the the C3-31. The questions I have are: where can the table be mounted, and if in more than one place will I need separate mounting rails (500-102 or 500-150) to be able to mount in different locations? I also have the four sided (one at an angle) steel table extension 400 mm (± 15") which is shown in the catalog for the slider. However, mine is mounted on the out-feed side of the shaper. I plan to buy the short cross-cut fence and its mount which did not come with the saw. If I move the table from the shaper to the slider, will I need additional fittings and if so, what are they? Within the saw cabinet, there is a steel saw guard which feeds saw shavings into the flex tubing which goes to the external dust collection fitting. Is there a transition fitting from the steel saw guard to the flex connector? My doesn't have one. If there isn't one what has been done to properly connect the flex to it? The clamp I have for the slider is an older version Eccentric Clamp 500-112 with a lever type handle pressing down on a disc assembly attached to a foot. The handle should "lock" when its pressed down on the disc by means of a cam shaped on the two sides of the bottom of the handle. The one I have doesn't lock, but rather it pops back up. The cam looks worn and only engages on one of the two sides. Any suggestions? I have a digital readout for the plane which was never attached. Are there directions for installation out there? This newbie to the C3-31would appreciate your help. Thanks in advance. Joe PS I attempted to post this on the Felder/Hammer Yahoo Group Site, but it is apparently not presently taking posts at this time.

Carl Knapp
04-08-2011, 2:04 AM
Hi Joe,
I would call Delaware and find out who your sales rep is, I would also get one of the techs on the phone. They can email you the motor chart and the links to the user and parts manuals. Go to the Hammer site and download the Catalogue. You will see a lot of options. You should also refer to the NEC guidelines for breaker and wire sizes. A) Sounds like the aluminum extension will fit on the same rail, the jointer fence mounts on. You can buy additional rails to mount it else ware. B) Leave the steel table bolted on the out feed after the shaper and order a separate one to mount on the slider. It will come with the hardware kit so you can pick up the Tee slot. C) You can order the short cross cut fence along with the mounting hardware. D)Not sure what’s up on the clamp. E)There should be an adaptor to go from the square metal to the round hose.

Hope this helps

Rod Sheridan
04-08-2011, 8:44 AM
I have just received a used 2002 C3-31. The machine is in excellent condition. After cleaning, lubricating, etc., it looks ready to go. However, there are a few items that need clarification. The motors on this unit are 3 hp. not the 4 hp of today's units. I need to run new wiring but haven't been able to determine the amps. for the circuit breaker.

Joe, I have a B3 Winner with the 4 HP motors, per CSA mine requires a maximum of a 16 ampere feeder. Your machine should be fine on a 15 ampere feed, however double check with Felder.

I have an aluminum extension table (approximately 6" x 15 1/2"), the #500-101, with the clamp handle and fittings on the bottom. There was no mounting rail to attach it to the the C3-31. The questions I have are: where can the table be mounted, and if in more than one place will I need separate mounting rails (500-102 or 500-150) to be able to mount in different locations?

2) Yes you'll need separate mounting rails, you should be able to put a mounting rail at the shaper outfeed, planer outfeed, jointer in and out feed and possibly table saw infeed depending upon the rip fence mounting rail.

I also have the four sided (one at an angle) steel table extension 400 mm (± 15") which is shown in the catalog for the slider. However, mine is mounted on the out-feed side of the shaper. I plan to buy the short cross-cut fence and its mount which did not come with the saw. If I move the table from the shaper to the slider, will I need additional fittings and if so, what are they?

The trapazoidal table mounts to the sliding table on my machine with a flat steel bracket that slides inside the groove on the outside of the sliding table. It can be positioned anywhere along the sliding table.

Within the saw cabinet, there is a steel saw guard which feeds saw shavings into the flex tubing which goes to the external dust collection fitting. Is there a transition fitting from the steel saw guard to the flex connector? My doesn't have one. If there isn't one what has been done to properly connect the flex to it?

On my machine the flex is squeezed to conform with the rectangular dust chute by using a hose clamp.

The clamp I have for the slider is an older version Eccentric Clamp 500-112 with a lever type handle pressing down on a disc assembly attached to a foot. The handle should "lock" when its pressed down on the disc by means of a cam shaped on the two sides of the bottom of the handle. The one I have doesn't lock, but rather it pops back up. The cam looks worn and only engages on one of the two sides. Any suggestions?

Nope

I have a digital readout for the plane which was never attached. Are there directions for installation out there?

I'm assuming that the handwheel and gauge are on the machine, if so, remove the gauge from the hand wheel by loosening the set screw that holds the gauge inside the wheel.

Plane a piece of wood and measure the thickness using a micrometer or digital caliper.

Hold the gauge in your hand, as it would be mounted on the machine, and rotate it until the gauge indicates exactly what the thickness of the wood is.

Install the gauge into the handwheel without moving it, gently tighten the set screw that locks the gauge inside the hand wheel.

This newbie to the C3-31would appreciate your help. Thanks in advance. Joe PS I attempted to post this on the Felder/Hammer Yahoo Group Site, but it is apparently not presently taking posts at this time.

Joe, my machine may be slightly different than yours. Please see my responses in red above.

Regards, Rod.

joe lasky
04-09-2011, 7:53 PM
Many thanks for all of your in put.