PDA

View Full Version : Woodcraft grinding wheels?

Tim Leiter
04-07-2011, 9:16 PM
I just got my new WoodCraft slow speed grinder set up and realized I can't find in the paperwork that tells what grit the wheels are.
Can someone tell me what they are?
Facing the grinder, the wheel on the right appears to be more coarse than the left. (Which would be the opposite of how I had my 6" set up).
Can someone tell me what they are? I really don't want to take the wheels off to see if they are marked under the flange nuts. :(
Thank you in advance. Tim.

Steve Hayes
04-07-2011, 9:45 PM
I think they are 80 and 100 or 120.

Mike Peace
04-07-2011, 9:53 PM
From the WC website:
Product Information:
A slow speed grinder is ideal for sharpening tools without generating the edge destroying heat that you get so quickly from 3450 RPM grinders. Wheels are 1" x 8", 60 and 120 grit.

The one on the left is usually the 60. Anyway you can feel for the roughest grit.

Gordon Thompson
04-07-2011, 10:47 PM
the one on the right is the 60 grit, out of the box. you might as well change them, as they are going to need fiddling anyhow...to get the side to side wobble out. you will need to shim them.

Tim Leiter
04-07-2011, 11:12 PM
thanks guys, Tim.

Tim Leiter
04-08-2011, 7:11 AM
Gordon, I do notice a slight wobble on both wheels. What do you use to shim them to get them to run true? Is it an easy fix? Thanks.

Gordon Thompson
04-08-2011, 7:35 AM
Gordon, I do notice a slight wobble on both wheels. What do you use to shim them to get them to run true? Is it an easy fix? Thanks.

sticky dots. :)

I searched the forum here, found several posts by Don Geiger (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/member.php?59307-Don-Geiger) and Joshua Dinerstein (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/member.php?22043-Joshua-Dinerstein) that talked alot about the woodcraft grinder, and how to shim the wheels. Basically you identify the low spots on each side of the wheels, and use sticky dots inbetween the wheel and the washer to get it to run true. It is simple, but can be a bit time consuming. I also sanded both sides of the washers on a flat suface, and the nut too. And also got metal bushings from McMaster. The holes on the woodcraft wheels are just ever so slightly under 1 inch, I needed to make them a bit bigger with some 180g sandpaper.