PDA

View Full Version : Preliminary Gloat: The Order Has Been Placed! Sliding Table Saw - Here I come!

Brent Ring
04-07-2011, 7:28 PM
Well,

After years of using a Ridgid TS2400 for all my tablesaw needs, and looking at going to a used PM, a new PM, a Sawstop, I have finally called my order in to Grizzly for a G0623X sliding table saw! THis has been a three year process to decide what was the best thing for my hobbyist shop. I am looking forward to it adding some speed, and accuracy to my shop that has not been there. I have already purchased a Forrest WWII and a Freud GlueLine Rip blade, and they are patiently waiting for the saw to come. I have to travel for work next week so I have scheduled delivery for about 3 weeks away. That should give me enough time to work out the cleaning that will need to occur to fit it in. I read Ed Vitrinovec (sp) posts and all of the other sliding table saw owners posts and am convinced that this will be a great addition, in terms of speed, accuracy, and safety.

I will post pics of the saw and setup process when it arrives and throughout the process, so others can see and maybe use the information.

Having a Grizzly 10% off coupon did not hurt either! :)

johnny means
04-07-2011, 7:52 PM
Congraduations and welcome to the club. I'm sure you'll really enjoy your new toy.

Jim Rimmer
04-07-2011, 9:42 PM
Congratulations. But you know the rules, no pics - no gloat. :D

Neil Brooks
04-07-2011, 11:06 PM
Odd:

No pics.

No actual saw.

And yet ... having just reviewed the specs, and ogled over each and every picture ... you already suck !!

Good on ya' ! Can't wait for the pics and your thoughts, after use !!

ed vitanovec
04-07-2011, 11:15 PM
Congradulations Brent! I've had mine for 2 years now and I am very happy with it. Very nice quality sliding table saw, has pleanty of HP and capacity, small foot print. I think its the best bang for buck in sliding table saws for the home shop. Looking forward to reading your review in the next month.

Regards!
Ed

Brent Ring
04-26-2011, 2:27 PM
Well, The teasing has begun. UPS showed up today with some dust collection pieces, a dial indicator, and the mobile base for the saw. I ordered everything at the same time. The saw is scheduled to come tomorrow sometime after 12:00 noon. Life is gonna be antsy until it comes.

Rod Sheridan
04-26-2011, 3:16 PM
Congratulations Brent, hope you like your new saw.........Regards, Rod.

Greg Sysak
04-26-2011, 6:23 PM
Hi,

I am looking at this saw as well due to the small footprint (only slider I think I can fit down into my basement shop). Look forward to your initial impression and review.

Good luck.

Greg

Mike Wilkins
04-27-2011, 9:34 AM
I was in the same boat a few years ago. The usual progression from an el cheapo benchtop saw, an old (1945) Milwaukee Delta saw, Sears Craftsman contractor style saw, a 1964 Rockwell/Delta Unisaw, to finally a Laguna 6' Sliding Table saw. Really fine machine. There is a learning curve going from a 'conventional' saw to a slider. But you will learn fast that this is a safer & fun way to go. Congrats.

Bas Pluim
04-27-2011, 11:16 AM
Hi,

I am looking at this saw as well due to the small footprint (only slider I think I can fit down into my basement shop). Look forward to your initial impression and review.

Good luck.

Greg
Me too. I've seen some posts about having to "relearn" certain operations on a slider, but details are usually sketchy. I am intrigued by this saw based on features, footprint, and price of course.

Rod Sheridan
04-27-2011, 12:10 PM
Hi, I have a Hammer B3 Winner, great machine, however if you only need a saw, the K3 is a great deal, I would look into it.

Moving one into the basement isn't hard, I moved mine in without a problem, my wife helped me.

The learning curve with a slider is mainly due to the fact that you now have a machine that can make square cuts, something a tablesaw can't do past maybe 12 inches.

Straight line ripping, and parallel ripping can be done with the slider, without using the fence for many operations.

http://www.feldergroupusa.com/us-us/video/the-complete-workshop.html?videosgruppen_id=0

The above link is a Felder video showing a full combination machine being used to make a desk. It's a long video, however well worth watching.

As you see the desk sides and drawer sections being made, you'll see a piece of wood being ripped and crosscut on the slider, without using a rip fence. A good slider really is that accurate.

I have a smaller slider (49") which has the foot print of a cabinet saw, with capabilities and accuracies that made my cabinet saw (General 650) look like a dinosaur.

Sliders are worth investigating........Oh, and the Felder site has a lot more videos to watch if you're interested.........Regards, Rod.

Greg Sysak
04-27-2011, 12:48 PM
I was interested in the K3 as well. However, I have a 29in wide door and then a 90 deg turn to go down my basement stairs. Hammer told me I need 31.5 in. Based on that it won't even fit through my door let alone make the turn. I think you can get the Grizzly down to around 26in wide by removing the electrical box and the hand wheels on the side. If you want to take off the table I think it even gets smaller.

Marc Myers
04-27-2011, 1:44 PM
Congrats on the new toy! Mind if I ask how you came about the 10% coupon from Grizzly? I have a tablesaw I'd like to order in the coming months and 10% would come in handy! Grizzly CS already told me they were planning a spring sale starting May 14 so that would help too!!

Brent Ring
04-27-2011, 3:59 PM
Marc,

THe 10% came as a result of an emergency subscription to WWJ. I probably wont keep the subscription renewed, but it has payed for itself already! That darned driver has about 2 hrs left! Wish he would hurry!

Rod Sheridan
04-28-2011, 8:55 AM
Yes, you're stuck with the 31.5" width.

I have the identical stair layout as you do Greg, however my door was wide enough....It was easy to move the machine downstairs, my wife and I did it without problem.......Regards, Rod.

Brent Ring
04-28-2011, 11:34 AM
No more Preliminary here. The Saw Arrived Yesterday. Liftgate service was definately worth it. The driver put the saw and slider kit on a pallet jack, lowered it from the truck and rolled it right into my garage. Definately worth it. I have posted pics below of the UPS freight truck, and the liftgate service, and the saw in my garage to alleviate any concerns about it "not happening" :)

I will probably start another thread very specific about the assembly. Here are some pics for you.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/misc/pencil.png

Ray DuBose
04-28-2011, 3:16 PM
Welcome to the SawmillCreek Sliders Club. There is a little bit of a learning curve but I love mine. Hope you enjoy yours.

I have the Hammer K3 Winner Comfort myself.

Ray

Don Bullock
04-28-2011, 10:17 PM
Congratulations. I'm looking forward to seeing the pictures and reading your comments about the saw.

Chris Tsutsui
04-29-2011, 12:31 PM
Very nice.

I was on the fence about getting either that same grizzly slider, or a K3... I went with the K3 and have to wait a bit as these arn't ready in a warehouse.

Please post pics when you're done and provide a detailed report!

Dave Winters
05-01-2011, 11:26 AM
Chris- Please do a little review on the K3 when you get it, won't you?

gary Zimmel
05-01-2011, 11:52 AM
Congrats on the new toy Brent... You got to love it when presents arrive by a big truck.

Clint Olver
05-01-2011, 9:10 PM
Congrats Brent! Wow, I'm a little excited and it's not even mine; you must feel like a kid on Christmas morning. I checked out the Grizzly website - awesome looking machine. Most of us without huge shops would love a slider like this. We anxiously await your new thread.

One request, could you post larger pics? We want to see everything.

C

Paul Canaris
05-02-2011, 1:21 PM
I think you will love having a slider. It is one of the better purchases I have made. My only occasional regret is the footprint it takes up; but then I get over that each time I need to rip full sheets of ply or put a straight edge on a 9' long board. And accuracy definitely does increase.

Paul McGaha
05-02-2011, 7:18 PM
Congratulations Brent. Beauty.

PHM

Greg Sysak
05-02-2011, 8:23 PM
Looking forward to more pics and a detailed review.