PDA

View Full Version : Anti-scatter block?

Mark Baldwin III
04-07-2011, 7:09 PM
I'm spending a bit of time looking around and trying to learn about infill planes. One of the things I have noticed is what's called the "anti scatter block". Am I correct in my assumption that this piece (placed just behind the mouth) is basically a bearing point for the rear infill? It seems to me that its purpose is to stop the rear infill from trying to move forward.
Or is it something simpler and I'm missing the point?

Jim Belair
04-07-2011, 7:28 PM
I thought it just gave a more robust bedding surface for the business end of the blade. Assuming we're talking about the same thing- the doubling up of the sole plate just behind the mouth. I can only find (Google) any mention of the term on Gerd Fritsche's site.

Jim B

Johnny Kleso
04-07-2011, 8:16 PM
Never heard that term before but it just makes a bigger bedding area..
Karl adds to pieces of round brass stock milled at the bed angle as a upper bedding area incase the wood shrinks over time..

Stephen Pereira
04-07-2011, 10:44 PM
I'm spending a bit of time looking around and trying to learn about infill planes. One of the things I have noticed is what's called the "anti scatter block". Am I correct in my assumption that this piece (placed just behind the mouth) is basically a bearing point for the rear infill? It seems to me that its purpose is to stop the rear infill from trying to move forward.
Or is it something simpler and I'm missing the point?

Jim Kingshott in his "Making&Modifying Woodworking Tools" talks about this block..although I can't recall him giving it name. Basically its purpose is to ..as you say..beef up the bed for the iron. This may be more important for a bevel down iron than bevel up. Kingshott rivets this piece..I think Hotley bolts it.

Mark Baldwin III
04-07-2011, 10:59 PM
Hmmm. As far as bolstering the iron, that hadn't occurred to me. Since the iron of an infill is supported by the wooden bed. It makes sense, though. I believe Matt at Gabardi & Son refers to it as the anti-chatter block.
I'll have to pop over and Holtey's site and look at it in more detail there as well.
I try to understand the reason behind things before just doing them. I believe that if you know WHY if helps you better understand HOW.
Thanks for the replies, you guys have helped to get the gears-a-churnin'. Along with making traditional style wooden planes, I want to learn about and make some infills as well. Learning about the little subtleties is pretty important in my book.

george wilson
04-08-2011, 10:22 AM
Anti chatter makes more sense than anti scatter block.

Jim Koepke
04-08-2011, 11:15 AM
Anti chatter makes more sense than anti scatter block.

Yes, but maybe it is so the chips don't scatter when the blade wants to chatter?

Ducking and running…

jtk

Tom Vanzant
04-08-2011, 11:35 AM
On the Stanley #40 scrub plane, the iron is supported at the mouth and cross-web.

george wilson
04-08-2011, 11:51 AM
You are a poet,Jim!!!!:)