PDA

View Full Version : Corel Text Spacing Question

Shawn Handley
04-07-2011, 6:10 PM
Greetings,

I have a piece of text. I want to move each character closer together so they are just touching. Is there a way to adjust the distance between characters?

Tristan Ranatza
04-07-2011, 6:18 PM
I believe the setting is "Kerning" under the advanced text sidebar. In X5 its measured in a percentage of the original text spacing and can be set up or down.

Select the characters using the Text tool . If you are kerning two characters, place the Text tool cursor between them. In the Character Formatting docker, choose a value from the Range Kerning box.

What version or Corel are you running?

Rick Hutcheson
04-07-2011, 6:31 PM
In Corel X3 and earlier versions I think. Type in the text. Then use the shape tool, normally thought of as the node editing tool. Grab the small square node, bottom left corner,
of each letter and drag it where you want. Hold the control key as you drag and it keeps the letters from being able to move up or down.

Shawn Handley
04-07-2011, 6:37 PM
I have X4.

In this one, I select the characters, make sure that the Character Formatting sidebar is up, and adjust the Range Kerning.

Thanks very much!!

Scott Challoner
04-07-2011, 9:11 PM
Someone posted an awesome tip a week or two ago. Select the text, hold down ctrl and shift and then use the < and > keys to change the kerning. Thanks again whoever posted that. I use it all the time now.

Shawn Handley
04-08-2011, 10:06 AM
Ah ha! That does work. At first I was using the arrow buttons. Then I realized I had to select the characters and not the paragraph.

Doug Griffith
04-08-2011, 10:55 AM
I have X4.

In this one, I select the characters, make sure that the Character Formatting sidebar is up, and adjust the Range Kerning.

Thanks very much!!

"Range Kerning"???

Shouldn't it be labeled as as "Tracking"?

Shawn Handley
04-08-2011, 10:58 AM
"Range Kerning"??? Shouldn't it be labeled as as "Tracking"?

Whether it should or shouldn't.... it's not in Corel X4.

Doug Griffith
04-08-2011, 12:07 PM
Personally, I think Corel is wrong. If they are trying to dumb it down for end users they should just call it "Total Character Spacing".

John Noell
04-08-2011, 3:58 PM
Corel has funny ideas. MS Word (the MOST widely used word processing software) uses that key combination to change the size of the font. Therefore, Corel would have to use it for something different.

Shawn Handley
04-08-2011, 3:59 PM
Yeah, I noticed Corel is never consistent with what is out there. AutoCAD for example. Conform Corel! Just do it! :)