PDA

View Full Version : coring tool recommendation

Larry Pickering
04-07-2011, 5:30 PM
Recommendation on a coring system, will be used on a Delta 46-460.

Thanks,

Larry

Ralph Lindberg
04-07-2011, 6:33 PM
IMO none

Sorry but that lathe is too small. As I recall the minimum recommended power is 1.5 HP.

Plus, with a 12 inch lathe, the largest core you could get might be.... 10 inches (real), more likely 8.

Harry Robinette
04-07-2011, 10:15 PM
Try the McNaughton they came out with a special Mini set just for the mini lathes.I believe their the only one how has a set for the small lathes.I love mine I have all of their coring systems except the Mini set.
Harry

Ryan Baker
04-07-2011, 10:35 PM
Yeah, the mini McNaughton set would be the obvious choice for a lathe that size. The small blades (as opposed to the mini blades) might be of some use too. 8-10" cores are still very much worth cutting out, depending on the blank in question.

Reed Gray
04-08-2011, 12:46 AM
McNaughton has the only coring system designed for mini lathes. Their micro set will work fine, with cutters only about 1/4 inch wide. The mini set might do well also. The only other one to consider would be the WoodCut one, where the large blade is a 5 inch radius. It is on a pivoting center, and you don't have to think to use it. Cutters are 3/8 inch wide, so it will drag a bit more than the McNaughton (called Kelton now).

robo hippy

Tim Rinehart
04-08-2011, 8:34 AM
You won't be disappointed with flexibility of McNaughton mini system, but you may want to research for users of the Woodcut Bowl Saver. Its offered by Craft Supplies, http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/store/Turning_Tools___Bowl_Coring___Woodcut_Bowl_Saver__ _wc_bowlsaver?Args= and it appears to be built for smaller corings. Don't know anything about it's actual use, but appears to work similarly to the oneway system that is very easy to use. Lots of threads in here on coring. Good luck on your decision and remember, with a smaller lathe (and I think the 46-460 can handle some moderate small coring) that you will want to proceed very slowly and keep a very sharp edge on your cutter.

Rick Hutcheson
04-08-2011, 8:48 AM
I have done a lot of coring with the McNaughton mini set on my Delta 46-460. I also ordered and tried the micro set. To me the micro set is too small and I actually bent one cutter the first time I used it. But the mini set worked great for me, just about as easy to core on the Delta as on my Jet 1642.

Larry Pickering
04-08-2011, 8:48 AM
Sounds like a good excuse to upgrade.

Larry

Jim Colombo
04-08-2011, 9:50 AM
Larry;
I use the 12" OneWay Easy-Core on my 46-460 and love it. The reason I chose that one is I watched a friend of mine fight with the McNaughten system one time. There is a large learning curve on it. Whereas I was able to easily core the first bowl I tried with the OneWay system. The only drawback is they only have one size knife for the mini system and that doesn't give you much choice about the 2nd and third cores. I Have gotten as many as 3 bowls from a 12" blank but they aren't as big as they could be with another knife.

Kyle Iwamoto
04-08-2011, 1:46 PM
McNaughton has a micro and mini. They are different, as pointed out. I have the micro, and sucessfully made bowl and funnel pairs on my Jet mini. It does work, but you need lots of practice. The mini set may be heavier duty and a better buy. You can buy just the micro blades if you want to turn reall small stuff.