PDA

View Full Version : Walnut gloat

Bill Bolen
04-07-2011, 5:07 PM
I made 2 more trips to the site today for a total of 4 loads. They are still cutting but I'm afraid to bring anymore home. My understanding wife just smiles each time I go for more. She is a quilter and suffers the same sort of addiction but from fabric. The big piece at the end of the trailer is 32" wide and 24" long. Took some effort to get it on the trailer. Just as I was getting ready to leave a police officer pulled up next to the trailer. I thought what kind of trouble could I be in? Turns out I made a new friend. He has been wanting to learn to turn as he is an avid "flatworker". We exchanged cards and we are now planning to turn a bowl from start thru rough out tomorrw at my home. Going to use a fresh piece of this Walnut. The little chrerry crotch piece shown in no way displayes all the color that is really there. I can't wait!!

Keith E Byrd
04-07-2011, 5:13 PM
Very nice haul and no problem making friends with the enforcers!

Steve Schlumpf
04-07-2011, 5:20 PM
WOW - quite the gloat! Beautiful wood and I am amazed at the size! Have fun giving lessons tomorrow - I always enjoy teaching!

Take some photos if you have the chance and remember - still lots of room on the Creek for more turners!

Have fun!

Mike Cruz
04-07-2011, 7:36 PM
Fantastic load! Your shop'll be smelling sweeeeet...

Baxter Smith
04-07-2011, 8:22 PM
Wish I could trade a couple of BIG cherry burls for a couple pieces of that BIG walnut!

Tim Thiebaut
04-07-2011, 8:31 PM
Ok I am seriously jealous here! That is a great looking load of wood you have there Bill, looking forward to seeing what comes out of it for you.

Jim Burr
04-07-2011, 8:38 PM
Bill...if I hear you asking for wood....:rolleyes::p:D

John Hart
04-07-2011, 9:10 PM
Holy Smokes!!! Bill, that is too cool. I have a giant lathe on the drawing board that would love to turn that big sucker into some shavings (and maybe something else)

That's a cool story about the cop. We'll need updates when you two get together. :)

Donny Lawson
04-07-2011, 10:21 PM
That looks like some extreamly nice looking Walnut.Seal it and it should be ready when you are.

Mike Cruz
04-08-2011, 12:13 AM
Baaaaaxter... You could have had all the figured Walnut you wanted...in LARGE blanks, no less. I thought you said you had enough walnut...:confused:

Dan Forman
04-08-2011, 1:39 AM
That's some seriously big honkin walnut!

Dan

Michael Short
04-09-2011, 8:20 PM

Bill,

Thanks for the lead the walnut. I just got back from picking up a load. See the pictures. This about all the mini van could hold. The two larger logs near the back are 24" diameter and should make for some nice bowl blanks.

Steve Mawson
04-09-2011, 9:55 PM
Bill,
You make me want to move back to Troy. What a nice bunch of Walnut. Put me down as wanting the rest of the story after you policeman friend get's a chance to turn a bowl.