PDA

View Full Version : Sandblast Material - Sandblast Stencil

Tracey Bakewell
04-07-2011, 4:43 PM
I am creating a stencil for a customer for sandblasting. They have a sample material here and I'm not sure where to locate it? I don't think the plastic I use from JDS Industries will work. Anyone know where I can purchase this type of material? It's going to be used on a tombstone.

Thanks!
Tracey

Dan Hintz
04-07-2011, 5:01 PM
For sandblasting a tombstone (i.e., long blast times), you want a thick mask... try a polyester vinyl.

Chuck Stone
04-07-2011, 5:11 PM
It is very thick. When I went through a granite/marble warehouse, they were blasting tombstones
in the shop. What they were using looked like a thick rubber mat (1/4"?) But then I'm not sure if
that piece was custom or maybe something they keep re-using (like 'beloved' or 'cherished daughter')
So if it was something they're re-use, I'd expect it to be thicker. But it still reminded me of rubber
floor mats.

Tracey Bakewell
04-07-2011, 5:28 PM
I have a sample piece here from the customer, but it was given to him from someone who knows someone, who knows someone, long story... anyway, yes, it is a heavy thick rubber material about .047 thickness, but similar to rhinestoning material you'd use with a vinyl cutter, it has a carrier on both sides, so you can cut just down to the carrier material, and the holes in the centers of g's and e's stay put.

Tracey Bakewell
04-07-2011, 5:29 PM
oh, and I meant to say Johnson Plastics earlier, not JDS Industries!

greg lindsey
04-07-2011, 8:02 PM
What you are looking for is Harco, regal plastics sells it. It is thick and a green in color, I use alot of it. It will take all the sandblasting you can throw at it.

Tom Sieczkarek
04-07-2011, 8:20 PM
I have used a product from the Innotec company called Bt100 Blast off. Works well and is for granite and concrete.Rated for sandblasting to 1"deep.
And is laser safe contains no pvc.

Joe Pelonio
04-07-2011, 9:42 PM
What you are looking for is Harco, regal plastics sells it. It is thick and a green in color, I use alot of it. It will take all the sandblasting you can throw at it.
I too have used this for granite and marble, for rock and wood I use Anchor which is thicker rubber and available at sign supplies such as Grimco and Fellers. For large designs it can be plotter cut.

Gary Hair
04-08-2011, 1:30 PM
I have been lasering and sandblasting for 5 years so I'm not an expert but I know what works for me. Both Anchor and Hartco make sandblast stencil. I have only used Anchor because it works well for me and have had no reason to try Hartco. I have also used the BT100 from Innotec. I would recommend Anchor 116, it's a high tack, 33 mil, stencil that will take 36 grit at 90 psi - it cuts fantastic with the laser too! Don't use polyester vinyl, you won't be able to get deep enough and you will probably face blowouts as well. If the surface is fairly rough then you'll want to use a filler/adhesive such as 3M #2 Stencil Filler. Apply it to the sticky side of the stencil and let it dry to touch, then put the stencil on your surface. You can put it directly on the stone but then you'll need solvent to remove it and you face the problem of removing any paint fill you applied. Speaking of which - use Lithichrome for paint fill, it's expensive but will last almost as long as the stone.

Since you are on the West Coast, I would recommend Pacific Coast Sign supply for your stencil. Ask for John and tell him Gary from Laser Image in Eugene sent you. His number is 503-232-8535. I am not affiliated with them and don't get anything for a referral besides good will.

Gary

Chuck Patterson
04-08-2011, 10:07 PM
I use 519y from 3M. Sandblasting headstones is 90% of my business and I would use nothing else on granite or marble. This stuff is super sticky so no filler is need on polished or smooth surfaces. It is not cheap and comes in large rolls. I get 25"x 10ft' and it costs around $265 plus shipping (I think this is what it cost? Maybe that included shipping?). How much do you need?