PDA

View Full Version : Offset of Face Frame to Inside Edge of Carcase?

Brett Bobo
04-07-2011, 12:21 PM
What scenarios determine when to offset the inside edge of the face frame to the inside edge of the carcase compared to when the frame frame should flush out to the inside edge of the carcase?

I'm working on a closet built-in and there's both open areas for hanging clothes, as well as drawers. The face frame will have a bead detail applied, instead of an integral bead. Therefore, my question is whether or not to set the face frame back from the inside edge of the carcase by the width of the applied bead or if the inside edge of the face frame can be flush with the inside edge of the carcase and the applied bead would be proud of the inside edge of the carcase by the thickness of the bead. With the latter, there may be some issues with the offset and the drawer slides that I haven't fully thought through yet.

Any help appreciated!

Brett

Lee Schierer
04-07-2011, 12:40 PM
A few questions:

1. Will the bead detail also be applied to the open areas?

2. What type of drawer slides are you planning?

3. What tyoe of material is the carcase made of?

Brett Bobo
04-07-2011, 12:57 PM
Lee,
Yes, the bead will be applied to all areas, including the open areas. I'm not certain on the drawer slides yet but more than likely Blum undermount 562H slides, possibly traditional side mounted (to the drawer) slides. With the side mounted slides, there's not a rear bracket so the slide will have to be attached to the side of the carcase, which is where I see the need to keep the bead flush with the inside face of the carcase; otherwise, shims would be needed to mount the slides. The carcase will be made of prefinished plywood. Thanks for the help.

Lee Schierer
04-07-2011, 2:53 PM
I think I would make the bead flush with the surface of the carcase. It will make cleaning of the open areas easier and won't complicate your drawer slide mounting.